• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Squeak While Pooping

Ivy_and_Luna

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig has been making loud squeaking noises while I think pooping. I don’t know if anything is wrong with her but my other guinea pig doesn’t do it and she’s young. She squeaks for a while then at the end makes one loud one that’s louder than the other and then she’s done. Should I go to the vet?

YvonneBlue

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
I am not a medical expert but squeaking while pooping or passing urine is not normal. This could be any number of things including urinary tract infection or a problem with her reproductive system. Please take her to see an exotics vet. Not sure if you are in the UK but there is a vet locator on the forum.

Recommended Guinea Pig Vets

Most vets in the UK are still open but you will have to call them and find out what arrangements they have in place.

Please add your location so that information can be tailored for the country you are in.

@Lady Kelly @BossHogg - please could you move this post to the health section of the forum so that the right people can offer advice.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
My guinea pig has been making loud squeaking noises while I think pooping. I don’t know if anything is wrong with her but my other guinea pig doesn’t do it and she’s young. She squeaks for a while then at the end makes one loud one that’s louder than the other and then she’s done. Should I go to the vet?

Please contact your vet clinic by phone. Your vet may diagnose over the phone as a non-urgent case. Your piggy is likely developing a urinary tract infection (UTI), bacterial or sterile (non-bacterial) cystitits; the symptoms are the same for all. An antibiotic and analgesic (metacam) is the standard treatment for that.

If symptoms persist or return after the course or if your piggy deteriorates while on antibiotics, then please contact your vet again; this time you may need to bring it in for further investigation into a potential stone or sterile interstitial cystitis (IC).

Ivy_and_Luna

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you, I will try to call my vet. But there is not many exotic vet places near me so I will have to find out (I live in the US). I’m trying to explain to my mom that she should call because it could be a UTI or something else.