• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pig Suffering Possible Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeakypigs01

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:help:
Hiya!
We have had a very eventful few weeks guinea pig wise! Last week we very sadly lost our boar ginger due to old age and a resitory infection:(. However a few days after we were lucky to wake up to a cage full of five healthy babies and their proud mum. Ginger was neutered and lived outside with his "wife" Sooty while the babies and mum are inside. Sooty is eating a lot less since Ginger died and seems very sad and lonely. We were wondering weather to bring her inside with mum and babies or weather that would be too risky considering she was outside before? If we are unable to bring her in then we will ring our local pets at home to see if they have any for adoption. What are your thoughts?

I guess you need to think long term, what do you plan for her. Would you like to be able to pair her up with mummy pig and maybe any of her daughters, or would you want to find her a new friend all together. If the answer is the 2nd option, then I thijnk she should at least be kept next to mum and babies until you find her a new friend. Or if you want to keep her with mum in the long run, then by being next to her, they will at least know one another a bit before they get introduced properly.. It must be very lonely for her outside by herself :( It's generally more harm full to move a guinea from inside to out rather out to in :) .

I guess you need to think long term, what do you plan for her. Would you like to be able to pair her up with mummy pig and maybe any of her daughters, or would you want to find her a new friend all together. If the answer is the former, then I see no harm at all in bringing her in so that at least for now, she can see and hear the other guinea's even if she isn't living with them yet. It must be very lonely for her outside by herself :( It's generally more harm full to move a guinea from inside to out rather out to in :) .
ok, thanks so much this is really helpful. We have to think about it.

I hope Sooty enjoys being indoors with neighbours. Baby guinea pigs are a delight. I hope they help ease the pain of losing Ginger.

Will you be keeping the babies and can we see piccies?

I do have some pictures but they arent very good as they are very wriggly! there are five in total but most pictures dont show them all. I have also put a video oyoutube if you want to watch that.

DSCN2492.JPGDSCN2496.JPGDSCN2540.JPG

So glad that she is happier. That video is wonderful.

That popcorning baby video is adorable! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back