• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pigs Ate Some Pine Needles?

Alexandra West

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all...
When I was away from finnian, my guinea pig, a few minutes ago, my sister snuck in and took him down to see the Christmas tree. Apparently he bit off some tips of the pine needles and ate them... will he be alright? I heard some trees are sprayed with chemicals and stuff... he didn’t eat many, maybe the very top of a few needles? I’m worried about him but I’m not sure if it’s warrented?

Hello all...
When I was away from finnian, my guinea pig, a few minutes ago, my sister snuck in and took him down to see the Christmas tree. Apparently he bit off some tips of the pine needles and ate them... will he be alright? I heard some trees are sprayed with chemicals and stuff... he didn’t eat many, maybe the very top of a few needles? I’m worried about him but I’m not sure if it’s warrented?

Take a deep breath - just a few needles won't harm him. ;)

Just make sure that he cannot get at the tree again in the next few weeks.

I think he'll be fine, but keep an eye on his poop for the next couple of days just to be sure everything looks normal. Although I clear them out as best as I can, I know my pigs have eaten the odd pine needle in the grass at the lake and have been fine.

As @Wieke said take a deep breath ...... piggies eat all sorts of things they really shouldn't and they are fine!

I am sure he will be fine. But if you notice any distressed behaviour or he appears ill in any way please ask a vet to check him over. And please ask your sister not to do it again.

Back