• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pigs hair loss

Prasiddha

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My piggy are all looking healthy and happy. Also I give them nutritious diet with fresh water. I have 2 cages with 2 girls and 2 boys. It is really hot and humid here. I have kept them in a room where there is a/c and fan. I somehow make sure I keep the temperature friendly and less hot for them. Past few two weeks I see all my piggies shed evenly their hair. Not baldness or thinning. But past two days I observe my youngest boy shedding more than his usual. He is 3 months old and weighs 550 GMs. When I hold him I find hair all over my clothes. Also when I pet him I find hair in my hand. But there is no thinning or bald spots in him. No lice or mites too. Other than this shedding he keeps lying down closer to the gate to get more cold air and doesn't go into his hidey. I kept frozen bottle wrapped in towel inside his cage. I have tried this past two day. But I don't see him figure out he needs to lie down close to it to feel good. How to help. Other than little extra lethargic behaviour than before. No change in his eating, drinking nor changes in pee or poop. No weight loss too. Weight has been increasing evenly. What do I do to stop him shedding so much hair. Could he be sick? Or is it just due to heat?

It’s normal for guinea pigs to shed hair. We find them everywhere in the house, even in the bathroom despite them being downstairs! It sounds like normal shedding, if you can’t find any bald patches or thinned areas then it’s fine I think. Someone more knowledgable will be able to answer fully.

When I hold mine now I put a fleece on myself so I’m not covered in hairs. If I do get hair on me I have a lint roller

It’s normal for guinea pigs to shed hair. We find them everywhere in the house, even in the bathroom despite them being downstairs! It sounds like normal shedding, if you can’t find any bald patches or thinned areas then it’s fine I think. Someone more knowledgable will be able to answer fully.

When I hold mine now I put a fleece on myself so I’m not covered in hairs. If I do get hair on me I have a lint roller
Thank you

My piggy are all looking healthy and happy. Also I give them nutritious diet with fresh water. I have 2 cages with 2 girls and 2 boys. It is really hot and humid here. I have kept them in a room where there is a/c and fan. I somehow make sure I keep the temperature friendly and less hot for them. Past few two weeks I see all my piggies shed evenly their hair. Not baldness or thinning. But past two days I observe my youngest boy shedding more than his usual. He is 3 months old and weighs 550 GMs. When I hold him I find hair all over my clothes. Also when I pet him I find hair in my hand. But there is no thinning or bald spots in him. No lice or mites too. Other than this shedding he keeps lying down closer to the gate to get more cold air and doesn't go into his hidey. I kept frozen bottle wrapped in towel inside his cage. I have tried this past two day. But I don't see him figure out he needs to lie down close to it to feel good. How to help. Other than little extra lethargic behaviour than before. No change in his eating, drinking nor changes in pee or poop. No weight loss too. Weight has been increasing evenly. What do I do to stop him shedding so much hair. Could he be sick? Or is it just due to heat?

Shedding can be seasonal (a response to a marked rise in temperatures as well as a dip) or a sign of stress or malnutrition. Some piggies shed more than others.

If he is well in himself, is lively and putting on weight well, then I would not worry. It will stop on its own, usually when you think that he should be bald, but somehow isn't as new hairs are growing back. ;)

You can also try to place damp (but not dripping) towels or fleece over the cages. As they dry, the evaporating water is cooling down the surrounding air. Rough large unglazed earthenware water filled jugs in Middle Eastern and Egyptian houses are used for the same purpose - as the water slowly evaporates, it cools the rooms.
If your boy is a bit lethargic from the heat, rub him gently down with a cool, but not cold cloth - you want to gradually lower the body temperature, not shock him and have him going into cardiac arrest.
Ceramic or marble tiles to lie on or freezable gel bags to cool a twisted ankle or a bruise can also help.

Here are more tips on how you can keep your piggies cool during very hot weather: Hot Weather Management And Heat Strokes

My guinea pigs go through an annual shed in the spring as the temperature rises... although they live indoors so I'm not sure how they know it's time to shed the thicker coat. I will end up covered in hair. It looks like they lose a lot, but their coats still look the same, as they have a lot of fur. I would suspect something like this, though be on the lookout for bald patches or irritated skin or anything else that would suggest a problem.

I have placed a marble tile in his cage last week. I will try out the damp cloth technique to get cold air. Also sure will read the hot weather management tip. Thank you @Wiebke you have always been my support.

My guinea pigs go through an annual shed in the spring as the temperature rises... although they live indoors so I'm not sure how they know it's time to shed the thicker coat. I will end up covered in hair. It looks like they lose a lot, but their coats still look the same, as they have a lot of fur. I would suspect something like this, though be on the lookout for bald patches or irritated skin or anything else that would suggest a problem.
Thank you @Freela

Back