• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guniea Pig Eye Rupture?

Linda Martin

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My pig, Harry, has something wrong with his eye. I've done so much research and I cant seem to ifnd out what is wrong. I dont have enough money to take him to the vet until Friday but i dont think he will last that long. His eye is pertruding out of his skull, its red, swollen, and watery. My dad was the first to notice... Harry's friend, Tim Tim, has always been really good with him but yesterday he started attacking him and we think it's because of his injury. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my pig? And if there is anything I can do to help him and keep him going until Friday?

This is his eye. I just separated him and the other pig so he doesn't get hurt

20170703_102255.jpg

He has red eyes to begin with but not red like in the picture. I'm afraid I'm gonna loss him. Please...

He needs the vet now as an emergency. Some vets do payment plans if you don't have the money till friday

Please explain to your Dad how important it is to get your piggy to the vets immediately

Checked your IP location and vets in your state can be found Veterinarians: Michigan - Guinea Lynx Records

He needs the vet now as an emergency. Some vets do payment plans if you don't have the money till friday

Please explain to your Dad how important it is to get your piggy to the vets immediately

Checked your IP location and vets in your state can be found Veterinarians: Michigan - Guinea Lynx Records

I have to be to work in an hour I cant take him today... Could he die because of this?

I agree this is an emergency. Eye problems can escalate very quickly and he could lose the eye or worse. It looks very painful too. Please find a way to get him vet treatment as a matter of urgency. His pal could well be attacking him because of his illness - I have seen it with guinea pigs of mine. You obviously care about this little guy and without some advice from the vet you wont be able to help him. x

I have to be to work in an hour I cant take him today... Could he die because of this?

This is an absolute emergency. At the least your boy is losing his eye, and at the worst he can die from complications. It is always very painful.

I had a pig with a similar eye to this. It was caused by an infection in a blocked tear duct. It needed to be removed.

We had to wait until the following morning but I could tell he was in terrible pain and we were glad to get it removed.

His cagemate started pestering him too that night.

He must been seen by the vet now. He will be in terrible pain and is at risk of losing the eye or even his life

That's the thing with pets, you need to have the funds for emergency situations, speak with your vets and ask if you can settle the bill on Friday, or borrow some money from a friend.

Update,
We took him to the vets and got his eye removed and also got him neutered. The dat after his surgery he began eating and drinking again. He's doing great, better then expected.

20170708_093131.jpg

20170708_093139.jpg

I am glad for the end of this story; loosing an eye for a piggie is not the same as for us humans; they are able to keep the same quality life they had before. Have you found out about the reason of that eye damage? was it an injury?
I can suggest only a simple thing for the future: thinking about a long life without any emergency is stupid because it will NOT happen. Therefore from NOW on, put aside a part of your money (a great part of your saving I mean... you can get rid of "normal" and not necessary things...), so that never again you will find difficulties and never again you will live bad days with such a big struggle. Having some saving is a duty for us pet owners...
I hope your piggie will totally recover :)

I am glad for the end of this story; loosing an eye for a piggie is not the same as for us humans; they are able to keep the same quality life they had before. Have you found out about the reason of that eye damage? was it an injury?
I can suggest only a simple thing for the future: thinking about a long life without any emergency is stupid because it will NOT happen. Therefore from NOW on, put aside a part of your money (a great part of your saving I mean... you can get rid of "normal" and not necessary things...), so that never again you will find difficulties and never again you will live bad days with such a big struggle. Having some saving is a duty for us pet owners...
I hope your piggie will totally recover :)

It ended up being an injury in the back of the eye, either from playing or eating, and it got infected and the infection built up behind the eye and began pushing it outward.

So glad to hear your piggy is better!
We had a piggy, Simon, whose eye had swollen massively and filled with blood, he had it removed but unfortunately he didn't survive the night :(
We think it might have been the antibiotic or painkillers he was given at the vets :(
But it's good to know your piggy is on the mend! Good luck and healing vibes to Harry! :) x

Back