• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Has My Pig Gained Enough Weight?

Lilythepig2017

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello

So when we purchased Lily she was 332g. After that weigh in she had a stint with antibiotics that destroyed her appetite for a week or so in the beginning. Now, 5 weeks later she was 413g tonight. Is that enough of a weight gain? She is 4 months old.

She it’s unlimited hay, some fresh veggies. doesn’t like pellets.

She also runs around in a very large play area almost the whole day so she’s burning calories for sure

She doesn’t feel thin but I may not be an expert on this.

Thanks so much

Hello

So when we purchased Lily she was 332g. After that weigh in she had a stint with antibiotics that destroyed her appetite for a week or so in the beginning. Now, 5 weeks later she was 413g tonight. Is that enough of a weight gain? She is 4 months old.

She it’s unlimited hay, some fresh veggies. doesn’t like pellets.

She also runs around in a very large play area almost the whole day so she’s burning calories for sure

She doesn’t feel thin but I may not be an expert on this.

Thanks so much

As long as your little girl is happy in herself, active and healthy and still growing, you need not worry. Some piggies will never grow very large, but can qually enjoy a happy life with a normal life span. Your aim is to ensure that she well in herself, not as large or heavy than the other piggies. She will grow more slowly, but for longer. Adulthood doesn't happen until 15 months of age. It is still quite a way.

One of my adoptees, rescue-born Papi, weighed 450g at 6 months old and still made it to over 800g eventually and even 900g in her prime. You can add half a handful daily of alfalfa hay to her normal hay for the next month or two if you really wish to, but pellets only make about 5% of the daily food intake and are the one part of the diet that is not absolutely essential.

A few piggies never grow beyond 600g but that is what they were born to be. They still lead happy and active lives and often have a big personality. Weight charts can be very misleading because they only fit a percentage and make you feel bad if your piggy doesn't fit into it. Like with humans the spectrum is much larger and the definition of 'normality' never fits everybody (if in fact anybody). Enjoy your baby as she is! As long as she is well in herself, there is nothing wrong with her. ;)

Back