• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hay Or Shredded Newspaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinea Days

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
we are wondering what is best for guinea pigs to sleep and live in...obviously they go out on the grass to have a run around but is hay or shredded paper better for them? because very rarely they sneeze..(we use hay)... but in the winter they have shredded and they don't? is this because of the hay or there is something wrong with them, however they seem fine in themselves and eat well. what could this mean..or is this normal

thanks
Guninea Days:ple::P:hmm::blink::help:

I gave my girls some shredded paper as a 'toy' as they love brown paper sheets and scrunchy paper but they didn't like it :( had to take it out

UPDATE:
we now have figured out to use less hay when they are out side which prevents the sneezing, pluss inside we now use LOADS od news paper and a bit of shredded paper to make it comfy. thanks guys bye x:love::clap:

I have given up newspaper in my guinea pigs' litter tray. I now use hemparade (from zooplus) and loads of hay for them to tunnel in and chomp on.

I have given up newspaper in my guinea pigs' litter tray. I now use hemparade (from zooplus) and loads of hay for them to tunnel in and chomp on.
That's interesting @flowerfairy I saw that on Zooplus and was going to ask if anyone uses it in hay trays. At the moment I use newspaper and then carefresh under the hay but the carefresh works out very expensive.

@Guinea Days I would echo what others have said about newspaper not being very absorbent and therefore not great as a main bedding. There is something called Fitch which I think is a paper based bedding? Might be worth checking out?

@Dorothy&Coco i've used hemcore for my piggies for years and it's great. Way more absorbant than paper or shavings, and cheaper than a lot of paper beddings. Fitch is good, but I found in areas where piggies wee'd a lot, or under bottles it was just turning into sodden clumps.

@Dorothy&Coco i've used hemcore for my piggies for years and it's great. Way more absorbant than paper or shavings, and cheaper than a lot of paper beddings. Fitch is good, but I found in areas where piggies wee'd a lot, or under bottles it was just turning into sodden clumps.
Thanks very much @zombieprincess I am going to order some for the hay trays and give it a try.

Like others have said, and also from personal experience, newspaper shreds get wet and damp very quickly. I ended up fully cleaning the cage every two days when my girls were on them.
Hay also isn't very good as bedding. Whilst they constantly need hay to eat, isn't not absorbent enough for bedding on its own.
Using a layer of bedding such as hemp and then a layer of hay on top might work well.
My indoor girls are on hemp bedding and never sneeze. Cage never smells and I just do one big clean at the end of the week.

Thanks for posting this @flowerfairy I now have a massive bag of hemparade in my garage! Just finishing off the carefresh and then going to give it a try in the hay boxes. Never thought I would excited about animal bedding!

I used to use newspaper under all bedding but I stopped because it was such a mess to clean. In addition, the bedding never ended up absorbing the wee because newspaper had. I love Fitch and use it instead. It's cheaper and less dusty than Carefresh, while being softer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back