• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help - Guinea Pig Has Nibbled On A Bit Of Glue

WinterAddams

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My guinea pigs were roaming the kitchen for a bit and I noticed Nymeria was trying to bit at something in a water bottle that was on the floor. I looked and at first thought she was trying to bit some cardboard that was glued to the plastic but I think she actually nipped at a bit of dried glue.
What should I do? I dont know if the glue is toxic and if such a small amount could cause damage.
Here is a picture of it.
That small part that doesnt look uniform is where I think she might havs bitten

1506018552421901323929.jpg

Most glues are inert once dry, as the energy in the chemical reaction is used in the bonding process, I should imagine it will come out the other end with no issues. But I would say plenty of hay and water to make sure it moves through keep an eye out for anything unusual.

My guinea pigs were roaming the kitchen for a bit and I noticed Nymeria was trying to bit at something in a water bottle that was on the floor. I looked and at first thought she was trying to bit some cardboard that was glued to the plastic but I think she actually nipped at a bit of dried glue.
What should I do? I dont know if the glue is toxic and if such a small amount could cause damage.
Here is a picture of it.
That small part that doesnt look uniform is where I think she might havs bitten

View attachment 71334

Guinea pigs don't have a vomit reflex, so what has gone down, has to come out the other end. I doubt that a little glue will hurt her.

Keep an eye on Nymeria for the next day or so and see the vet promptly in case she is suddenly unwell, but that is hopefully not the case.

Guinea pigs don't have a vomit reflex, so what has gone down, has to come out the other end. I doubt that a little glue will hurt her.

Keep an eye on Nymeria for the next day or so and see the vet promptly in case she is suddenly unwell, but that is hopefully not the case.
I talked to the vet and she said she should be fine as it was an extremely small quantity.
My dad said it was water glue and that it wasnt toxic.
I think she'll be fine. I'll keep an eye on her regardless.

Most glues are inert once dry, as the energy in the chemical reaction is used in the bonding process, I should imagine it will come out the other end with no issues. But I would say plenty of hay and water to make sure it moves through keep an eye out for anything unusual.
What exactly would count as unusual?

Anything not normal for your pig, eating less, not popping, seeming lethargic anything really that seems unusual for them or worries you

Back