• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

mytwomaleguineas

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello! My guinea pig likes stretching out after a little nap or when being petted. He’s a little chubbier than “normal” piggies and when he stretched out I noticed this 8BD853CA-FA06-4E4F-B1AD-D1ECDC194971.jpegthere’s a little wider part. When my two piggies started arguing, it led to a fight and cookie was probably grooming himself a lot or walnut was going it because we found tufts of his hair on the floor. After separating them, there were no more from cookie but I noticed the little wider part. I don’t usually notice stuff so I don’t know what it could be. His eating and drinking is good and normal. He’s been sleeping a little more though which I believe is because of the temperatures in our home. It’s around 70-75 Fahrenheit here I believe. He’s also normally active. He popcorns too and I weigh him weekly and there’s no dramatic change. I’ve took him to the vet about 16 times already since we got him. And there was never something wrong so I was always overthinking. And the vet here is very expensive but I would be willing to spend as much as I need to for my piggies. Should I be worried about it though?

It doesn’t sound worrying. Stretching out when being scratched is usually a good sign. When you say wider part, where do you mean. He looks normal to me.

And when you say fighting, what do you mean exactly? That’s quite different to dominance behaviours. Have a read of the guides below and see where they say. How are they behaving now they’re separated? More specifically, how is the underpig behaving now?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Bonds In Trouble

It doesn’t sound worrying. Stretching out when being scratched is usually a good sign. When you say wider part, where do you mean. He looks normal to me.

And when you say fighting, what do you mean exactly? That’s quite different to dominance behaviours. Have a read of the guides below and see where they say. How are they behaving now they’re separated? More specifically, how is the underpig behaving now?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Bonds In Trouble
Ok I will check the links out! It started a few months ago with just chasing each other which turned into teeth chattering and then now when they are together, they attack each other. Two guinea pigs biting and rolling around. So we had to separate them. Every once in a while they lay beside eachother next to the divider but whenever they hear or see eachother, they still rumble strut. We did try to rebond them in a neutral area with a plate of veggies but they just ran away from eachother and were both scared of each other. Walnut is around 7-8 months so that could be the reason. I believe cookie is the underpig because he runs away from walnut every time walnut teeth chatters but in the beginning or start of their dominance, walnut would cry from cookie’s dominant personality.

After being separated, Cookie hasn’t been self grooming anymore and is seeming less stressed. But when they see eachother at the divider, they rumble strut and often teeth chatter. We don’t have any other guinea pigs than them two at the moment so we just decided to keep them side by side with a divider.

Walnut on the other hand popcorns way more than when he was with Cookie and is doing pretty well too. Both haven’t had a dramatic change in weight, are eating and drinking normally, and are pretty active with an exception of a little more naps.

And here is the area where I think is a little larger. I don’t really understand guinea pig anatomy so I don’t know if the bottom part is supposed to be a little larger. But he has been a little more chubbier than normal guinea pigs since he was born. So I could just be normal. I think they would be better just being side by side. Please let me know if I should try to re-bond them later or just keep them side by side. :D
0C1C6864-9AFB-42A0-8985-235D5B88A64D.jpeg

If they have had a full on fight, then you cannot introduce them again. Keep them side by side. Laying by the divider is not necessarily a good sign - it can be a way of territory marking.

I'm not seeing anything but a normal piggy in the picture!

If they have had a full on fight, then you cannot introduce them again. Keep them side by side. Laying by the divider is not necessarily a good sign - it can be a way of territory marking.

I'm not seeing anything but a normal piggy in the picture!
Okay thank you! For fleece items and liners, do we need separate ones for each piggy because of smell or can they share the fleece items.

They need one each in that you shouldn’t use it in ones cage then put in the others without washing.

Ok I will check the links out! It started a few months ago with just chasing each other which turned into teeth chattering and then now when they are together, they attack each other. Two guinea pigs biting and rolling around. So we had to separate them. Every once in a while they lay beside eachother next to the divider but whenever they hear or see eachother, they still rumble strut. We did try to rebond them in a neutral area with a plate of veggies but they just ran away from eachother and were both scared of each other. Walnut is around 7-8 months so that could be the reason. I believe cookie is the underpig because he runs away from walnut every time walnut teeth chatters but in the beginning or start of their dominance, walnut would cry from cookie’s dominant personality.

After being separated, Cookie hasn’t been self grooming anymore and is seeming less stressed. But when they see eachother at the divider, they rumble strut and often teeth chatter. We don’t have any other guinea pigs than them two at the moment so we just decided to keep them side by side with a divider.

Walnut on the other hand popcorns way more than when he was with Cookie and is doing pretty well too. Both haven’t had a dramatic change in weight, are eating and drinking normally, and are pretty active with an exception of a little more naps.

And here is the area where I think is a little larger. I don’t really understand guinea pig anatomy so I don’t know if the bottom part is supposed to be a little larger. But he has been a little more chubbier than normal guinea pigs since he was born. So I could just be normal. I think they would be better just being side by side. Please let me know if I should try to re-bond them later or just keep them side by side. :D
View attachment 170025

The figure looks perfectly normal for a stretched out piggy to me? The wider part is where the gut is housed and where it is pushed sideways during a stretch.

Back