• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help!..... what should I do for my little piggy?

SophieMaddison

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,
So a little information from you wise people if you could 🙃
My dear beloved Ted passed away far too early last week at 3 years old, he was my absolute joy.

However, he has left behind his pal Now my question is should I get another for company for Boo or not?
Boo seems like he's never been more content in the cage alone now. I worry he would try to dominate a little piggy, as he used to do it to Ted even though he was far bigger but much more docile. I don't want a little one to be bullied and end up with two separate pigs. Although I don't want boo to possibly spend 3 years alone and lonely.
Does anyone have any ideas 💡 or knowledge?

Welcome.
I hear many members having play dates prior to choosing a cage mate.
Is it possible for you to get a piggy for play date to see if they will be a good fit as cagemates?

You could get your boar neutered and find a sow to put with him. Its more likely to work out. But you need a confident vet who has done plenty of neuters before.

How big is the cage?

Hmm that's something I could look into adopting another piggy my do a play date. Yes we did think of getting him neutered before I just worried about the outcome as he's so tiny. The cage is a normal standard size but we used to let them have the run of the flat. Thankyou for your advice 🙂 I shall look into it all.

What is normal standard size? as standard size can be very big or very small. I'm in the same situation as Chippy my boar lots his friend last year and due to him being so 'happy' my parents will not allow me to get him a cage mate. But in any situation I think that you should get another piggy.

I agree with the above - there is no such thing as a standard size when it comes to a cage! The minimum size two pigs should be in is 120cm x 60cm but for two boys they need more room so ideally they would be in a bigger cage than that (ideally a minimum of 150cm x 60cm).

The play date mentioned above is done at a rescue centre. It is called boar dating. You take your piggy along to the centre and they either find a suitable match and you bring them home and do the bonding yourself. Or, you take your piggy and leave him at the centre for a couple of days. They try your pig with other boys and see which one he gets on best with. They do the bonding and you then go and pick them both up. This is the easier method as you then don’t have to worry about finding a neutral space to do the bonding and watching out for the signs of whether they are compatible (that said, whenever you bring a new piggy home whether bonded or not, there is always going to be an adjustment period so you will still need to know the signs to watch out for to ensure the bond is still working). not all rescue centres offers the boar dating service, but if you can find one that does, then it is well worth doing.

If you just go out and buy another pig from a pet shop, then you will have absolutely no way of knowing whether the two will be compatible and that is when the run the risk of ending up with fights and two separated pigs and then needing to get another two so they’ve got a friend...and before you know it you’ve got four pigs!

If you do get a sow you can buy the maxxi skyline 120x58 Its only £32 on zooplus. Its what i use for a boar and sow, with floor time regularly too.

Thankyou so much for all your wonderful advice.. I feel the best decision morally would be boar dating. I've found a rescue centre so will get in touch with them to enquire.

Thankyou for your wise comments

I will. I actually got in touch with the breeder I got Ted and Boo from and asked if she did boar dating The lady said no but if I got a seven week old there would be no problem. Accurate do you think this is?
Xx

I will. I actually got in touch with the breeder I got Ted and Boo from and asked if she did boar dating The lady said no but if I got a seven week old there would be no problem. Accurate do you think this is?
Xx
No accurate but good chances maybe . Thats what i think anyway👍

The young pig could try for dominance further down the line

Xx

There is absolutely no way of knowing. It’s about character compatibility.
In theory introducing a baby can make things easier because babies aren’t a threat but once the baby gets to hormonal teenage stage then things may change if he starts to assert himself and wants to be top pig.

Back