• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help With Bonding Girls ):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello.

I have an around 4-5 year old guinea pig that has been alone for most her life, but not all. Most of my guinea pigs have always had an "older sister" when the older one dies after a while we get a new one and put them together. Being naive, we just let them play on the floor together and then put them in the same cage right after. Luckily I have NEVER had a problem at all.

Now as an Animal Science student, I am actually learning more behaviors about animals. And of course. Now is when I have a problem. I have recently brought my Guinea Pig Katie Bell up to my college town with me. An 8 hour drive where I had her in a cat carrier, she did great considering she has never done that before in her life. She has had 2 weeks of alone time and has adjusted greatly. Because my girlfriend is in love with her, she has gotten a lot of floor time. She has always been a confident piggy behind her cage bars (not afraid of dogs cats in previous house ) and now she is having fun during floor time adventuring in our living room, and even is happy when we pet her. She has gotten more confident and curious since moving.

We decided to get her a little sister. A small 3 month old from the petstore. We have had her for 2 weeks now, but the bonding doesnt seem to be getting anywhere. The new little girl Nymph is submissive to KB, and just wants to be friends. If she hears KB weeping she will popcorn all around and come over, but KB quickly chases her off. She will nip at her (nothing has broken the skin) and seem to look for her if she is out and chatter her teeth. She definitely marks when they are out together, and poops way more. She is okay if Nymph keeps her distance, but occassionally will try to look for her just to bully her. Nymph doesnt show any dominant behaviors towards Katie Bell.

This is very frustrating for us as we want to put them in the same cage, but as of now Nymph is actually in the cat carrier. (shes very small and we take her out often) And we have tried the classic guinea pig things such as having them on a couch, etc.

Could it just be jealousy of her now getting confidence to roam the floor and be pet by her humans that now she doesnt want to share?

We tend to separate them quickly if we can, I have read that babies can be drama queens about being attacked, but its just so hard watching the older pig try to bite her. She is very very large compared to the other pig.

Hello, welcome to the forum :)

It is distressing to watch isn't it

Could it just be jealousy of her now getting confidence to roam the floor and be pet by her humans that now she doesn't want to share - No, this won't be the case, guinea pigs aren't capable of complex emotions like jealousy, luckily :)

I would have a read of this and try and follow the bonding guide to the letter. After you have bonded in a neutral place make sure their cage is completely clean Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs

How big is their cage? Do they have two of everything especially hideys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back