• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Status
Not open for further replies.

cinn&sugarmybbs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to the site and I have a question about my two Guinea pigs:))

I took them to the vet 2 days ago, I knew they have a URI so I was given baytril and probiotics to stop it. I noticed they have been scratching a lot. So I asked if it was mites or fleas. Both tests came back negative.

-sugar has large bald spots behind her ear

-cinnamon has a bald spot behind one ear
QGhQfsj
and on her nose she has a scab that kind of sticks out, it's pretty small

The vet kind of ignored this and acted like it was normal and told me they probably just have a bacterial skin infection.... I don't buy it. It seemed like the vet was pretty uneducated to do that. I've started doing my own treatment at home

-Nizoral bath once a week

-anti fungal creme 2x day

So my question is,(posting a pic of the bald spot) do you think this sounds like ringworm or should I just assume it's a bacterial skin infection?

IMG_1513.JPG

Omg, now I'm nervous. Both of mine have bald spots behind their ears. I think they've always been there though. Is that not normal?

Don't worry! As long as they are not itching it's fine. It's normal for them to have bald spots but sugar seems to have big ones and she's losing hair. So in my case it isn't a good thing

Hi! Symmetrical bald patches behind the ears are normal. Only if they aren't should you worry.
Guinea pig body quirks

Unfortunately, as you have been treating on spec, it is pretty impossible for anybody to tell whether your piggies have fungal/ringworm, mange mites or something else. As you have started, you need to complete the course of fungal shampoos every three days for at least three times.

Here are our ringworm care tips; make sure that you are extremely careful about hygiene, as ringworm is the single most transmittable issue between all mammals (including humans). You also need to invest in a good antifungal disinfectant, which most commercial disinfectants aren't.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Please find a more piggy savvy vet. We normally have got a recommended UK vets and rescues locator on the top bar, but can provide links to recommended piggy savvy vets and good standard guinea pig rescues in some other countries if wished.

Since we have members and enquiries from all over the world, it would also help us enormously if you please added your country, state/province or UK county to your details, so we can tailor any advice to what is available and relevant where you are. As you can imagine, there are major differences in background, climate, brands, vet and rescue access etc... and they can all play into what advice we are giving.
Please click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. This makes it appear underneath your username in every post you make. In the same section you can also upload your avatar, that is the picture that appears with your username.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back