• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

niczmer

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I am a new guinea pig owner. I own two lovely guinea pigs and they’ve been with me for about 4 days. I just want to ask if there’s anything wrong with my guinea pig, his name is Fundy and he’s only a month old. Ever since the day started he hasn’t been his usual bubbly and clingy self. When i pick him up he does not bother to squeak or protest like he usually does when i try to gently hold him. He doesn’t seem to have much of an appetite as well. He hovers above his food bowl but isn’t budging. I’ve been given mixed answers from research and I’m not sure what to do.. Long story short he’s not very enthusiastic, not even bothering to acknowledge his fellow kind. Please help me, I’m pretty inexperienced and I want the best for my lil piggys. (Sorry if I say anything wrong, English is not my first languange.)

I’ll see what I can do. He’s only a month old so I am quite unsure of what to do ..

Is he eating hay at all? That is their main food. Vegetables and pellets are like a snack.

Hope you can get him seen soon. Also make sure that they’re both boys. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Illustrated Sexing Guide

Yes, I feed them the amount of hay they need. Also, I think there’s a problem(?) Mine is a male-female pair. They were a gift and I didn’t buy them so I didn’t get to choose the pair.

Please please separate them now. You will have to treat the sow as if she is pregnant. Put them in separate cages but next to each other. They can talk through the bars. Make sure they can’t escape and get back in with each other.

Hay should be in cage(s) all the time. You too it up 2-3 times a day and take out any wet one. I think there aren’t many exotic vets in Philippines so you may have to just cross your fingers and get him to a general vet. Good luck.

Update, i just checked up on them and he’s not moving.. I’m actually panicking

Please try and get him to a vet. Any vet will do.

Thank you so much for your help but it seems like it was too late... His heartbeat is not there anymore and his eyes are closed. After this, my female guinea pig will most likely look for him and I want to ask what I could do for the mean time before I get her a companion. I don’t want the same thing happening to her :/

I’m so sorry. We don’t know what was wrong with him so can’t say it will happen to her. It may not.

As she’s so young you really need to get her a friend soon. Please just make sure it’s a sow (girl).

Yes that should be fine. I’m sorry you lost him. There is likely nothing you could have done.

We’d love to see photos of him and your girl if you have any. You can also post about him in the Rainbow pets section. What was his name and what is your girl’s name?

His name is Fundy while her is Cookie. Sounds a little corny but it suits them alot. I’ll post pictures of them in the future :) I am enjoying it here so far, glad I signed up !

Sorry for your loss. 💔 Hopefully you can get a new friend for your young sow. And find a vet that can deal with piggies in case something happens in the future.

Btw, I'm originally from the Philippines, so welcome from a fellow Filipina. 👍

Back