• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hibiscrub Safe For Sack Cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigGlasgow

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just seen a new vet who seemed a bit confused about her meds (she mixed up septrin and emeprid several times until I pointed it out) and wanted to check something.

Weasley's had a few good days but back to soft poops and calcium sludge, and has also started showing a thick, yellowish tinge to his anal sack fluid, it's usually quite smooth and whiteish but has taken a more lumpy yellow, toothpasty appearance.

Given his gastric issues we're still wary of any more antibiotics being used, so she's perscribed hibiscrub at a 1:10 ratio to clean inside the sack with. Given I've only used it once to clean a particularly nasty wound, and at a much lasrger dilution of 1:20 I wanted to check if that's a safe thing to be doing in such a delicate area?

She also wasn't sure what exactly could be causing it so if anyone's any ideas I'd love some suggestions. Only thing I could think of was yeast but all his fungal tests have come back negative.

Thanks all :)

I was notified as tagged but I can't actually see my name , anyway..

Whilst I'm here, hibi scrub is perfectly safe and would actually be quite good for the area. It's anti microbial so will help take care of any mild infections. Just use at the dilution recommended- any redness or irritation (which id highly doubt would happen) then dilute more.

It soaps up well so you should get a good clean with it, remember to rinse after too!

Any further problems I would go back as he may need an oral antibiotic course X

Not sure why you got a notification either but glad you did! Thanks Adelle :)

@Wiebke @Adelle I've just done his first round, I did as the vet suggested, diluted the hibiscrub (I did 0.2ml in 3ml of water just to be safe) and dipped a cotton bud in to a very small amount, gave him a clean out, then used another damp cotton bud to wipe down afterward, then dried it out with some kitchen roll and a dry cotton bud. He was most definitely not happy so I was worried about hurting him when he staert squirming. Is that enough of a rinse or should I try and syringe some water in there too?

@Wiebke @Adelle I've just done his first round, I did as the vet suggested, diluted the hibiscrub (I did 0.2ml in 3ml of water just to be safe) and dipped a cotton bud in to a very small amount, gave him a clean out, then used another damp cotton bud to wipe down afterward, then dried it out with some kitchen roll and a dry cotton bud. He was most definitely not happy so I was worried about hurting him when he staert squirming. Is that enough of a rinse or should I try and syringe some water in there too?

Try to gently syringe some water in there, too. You do not need to do it at high pressure.

I've slowly syringed it through with about 10mls of warm water, not sure how deep it got though as I didn't want to shove a syringe too far up his backside in case of doing damage! He was much more relaxed with that part, and it definitely seems to have done some good as he's much looser now and just dropped a dozen or so misshapen looking green clumps that I'm assuming must've been stuck up there?

Definitely seems to have had a positive effect. He ate tonnes last night but hadn't really pooped since shortly after he dropped the clumps so I was getting a bit worried, but he's just dropped the ones on the bottom of the picture and they look SO much better than the ones from yesterday afternoon which are at the top! He's also started wheeking for veggies again and his breathing seems more relaxed and he's just started burrowing through his hay again rather than jusy picking from the top of the pile. :D Still some calcium sludge in his pee but he's passing it easily and its a fine powder with no grit so hopefully it will pass too :)

tmp_4612-20170304_091951-2026751506.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back