• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hormonal babies? Please help!

EveRose

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!
I'm super worried about one of my 4 sows, I have had them for about a month and a half now and they're roughly 3 months old.
They have settled so well and 3 of which are eating out of my hand! The other one who is a little more shy still hasn't eaten out of my hand and is the one I am concerned about. The other 3 seem to nip, teeth chatter, chase and kick her out of hides a lot.
Now I dont know whether this is still a dominance hierarcy settling or if its bullying.
I'm really concerned because I dont want her to be unhappy. However, I have seen her spray urine over another when she got fed up of being chased which was great because at least she's sticking up for herself!
Is this still a dominance/ hierarchy settling even though its been over a month? Or is it hormonal? When do sows come into hormonal changes?
Help!
Thank you xx

Sounds like a hormonal one. The top pigs, or those higher up the hierarchy, have the pick of hides. Make sure you have four of everything and that the hides have two exits.

Hi!
I'm super worried about one of my 4 sows, I have had them for about a month and a half now and they're roughly 3 months old.
They have settled so well and 3 of which are eating out of my hand! The other one who is a little more shy still hasn't eaten out of my hand and is the one I am concerned about. The other 3 seem to nip, teeth chatter, chase and kick her out of hides a lot.
Now I dont know whether this is still a dominance hierarcy settling or if its bullying.
I'm really concerned because I dont want her to be unhappy. However, I have seen her spray urine over another when she got fed up of being chased which was great because at least she's sticking up for herself!
Is this still a dominance/ hierarchy settling even though its been over a month? Or is it hormonal? When do sows come into hormonal changes?
Help!
Thank you xx

Hi

If it is ongoing and persistent, it sounds rather like it could have crossed the line into potentially bullying. Please read the information in these guides here.
Please make sure that you have 4-5 identical hides with two exits lined up in a row, so there is nothing to choose from. It is dominance behaviour but there is a thin line between persistent dominance and bullying, especially when it comes from all the thre others and is very pronounced.
Moody guinea pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour
Bonds In Trouble

This was my solution for a group with one of the undersows being a real pain over hidey possession above her station in the hierarchy. It did solve the problem.

Thank you so much for your reply!
One of my ladies is so laid back and doesn't really pick on her at all compared to the other two. I have 5 hides but none of them have 2 exits so I will definitely be going to get some tunnels tomorrow. I did try 4 tunnels before but they all just squeeze into one because they want to be close but end up squealing and the shy one (cheddar) gets pushed out.

If it gets worse and Cheddar seems to not be putting on weight etc, what do I do? :(

Thank you so much for your reply!
One of my ladies is so laid back and doesn't really pick on her at all compared to the other two. I have 5 hides but none of them have 2 exits so I will definitely be going to get some tunnels tomorrow. I did try 4 tunnels before but they all just squeeze into one because they want to be close but end up squealing and the shy one (cheddar) gets pushed out.

If it gets worse and Cheddar seems to not be putting on weight etc, what do I do? :(

If it is not working out, please split the quartet into 2 ext door pairs and put Cheddar with the top sow who is not pouncing on her. See how that goes.

Back