• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How can I calm young guinea pigs while being held

honeybee<3

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My guinea pig pumpkin is particularly bad for this. She is still young and fairly new but I've had her long enough that I need to clip her nails and take her from her cage from time to time for cleaning etc. However, she kicks and squirms so bad that I'm always scared she will jump and hurt herself. She also has a tendency to bite (not too hard yet, just nibbles really) and I would like to hopefully train her to kick and bite less while I'm trying to clip her nails and pick her up. Will this happen as the guinea pigs age a little bit and adjust to being handled sometimes? I've never seen a guinea pig squirm and bite quite this much. Thanks for any help.

They always squirm a bit when you pick them up but it does settle the more you do it and over time (years for me). Once you sit down with them and they are on your lap they should freeze almost (with her being so young and not quite used to you by the sounds of it). This is a submission behaviour.

Try using techniques used in this thread to pick up your piggy How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

You are at stage were piggy is confident with you to tell you they are scared hence the nibbling. We have a biter when picked up, so use a cosy to carry her to lap time and collect. When claw trimming feed a little gem lettuce leaf as distraction

There are some very useful tips here, they really work! " Biting" And What You Can Do
I use a pet carrier to collect from the cage for whatever activity we are doing. I find we start with a calmer piggy by avoiding the in cage chase to begin with. It took a few goes with a slice of cucumber in the box before they got the message, but now as soon as the carrier is put into the cage they walk into it. The end of the carrier journey always results in food, whether it's a trip to the garden for lawn time, a play pen indoor session, cuddle or nail trim so they are always eager to be moved!

Nail trimming involves bribbery with food and is usually a two person job in this house. Sometimes only one or two nails will be cut on a pig before it squirms too much. I leave it for another day then so nail cutting does not become a battle. Some people wrap their piggy up and just expose one foot at a time.Guide to Cutting Guinea Pig Nails

I have a shy young piggy, Phoebe, and I use a snuggle pouch to pick her up and she sits in it on my lap.
She’s very slowly becoming more confident and allowed herself to sit on my lap without her pouch last time I cleaned the cage.
It wasn’t for long but that’s progress

Attachments

• 1CB582F8-AA5C-41E1-89F1-3767BB9AB0D3.jpeg
    1CB582F8-AA5C-41E1-89F1-3767BB9AB0D3.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 2
Back