• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How Do I Know If My Piggies Are Ready To Go In The Same Cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChloeCee98

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:help:I have two female piggies! I have just put the pigs back to bed after an hour or so of introducing them! I wasn't sure if it was successful or not...my smaller guinea pig seemed a bit scared. I was on edge the hole time watching incase they were fighting I am so stuck with what to do!? When I took them out they were crying for each other so their cages are now next to each other and in the same room. So they can chat and see each other. I'm going to keep doing it over this next week! Will I know? Is there anyway of telling if they're definitely going to get on?

:help:I have two female piggies! I have just put the pigs back to bed after an hour or so of introducing them! I wasn't sure if it was successful or not...my smaller guinea pig seemed a bit scared. I was on edge the hole time watching incase they were fighting I am so stuck with what to do!? When I took them out they were crying for each other so their cages are now next to each other and in the same room. So they can chat and see each other. I'm going to keep doing it over this next week! Will I know? Is there anyway of telling if they're definitely going to get on?

Hi! Guinea pigs have a proper bonding protocol, which they cannot work through if you just put them together for short amounts of time. At some point to you need to commit and see it through. Bonding always happens in a neutral place that is not part of your piggies usual territory, so they can meet on even footing.

Please take the time to read carefully through our detailed step-by-step bonding guides. You will find them very helpful in understanding what is going on!
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics
Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs
Sow Behaviour

I read through all of them and I know an hour or so isn't long enough but I really thought they were going to fight but then they were squeaking for each other I was so confused lol! I think maybe it was just me and my partner being worried It's just so scary seeing my babies like that lol Thankyou

I think you are doing great.
Thank you! It's just so scary seeing them like that with each other. I'm new to guinea pigs really so I'm not sure if I'll know when they're ready either I just feel like I've failed them today I even had a little cry lol

I read through all of them and I know an hour or so isn't long enough but I really thought they were going to fight but then they were squeaking for each other I was so confused lol! I think maybe it was just me and my partner being worried It's just so scary seeing my babies like that lol Thankyou

Bonding is scary. However, the worst that usually happens is a tussle with sows as long as you remove anything they can get caught in. Just have an open space with some hay in and let them get on with it. It generally takes patience.

Thank you! It's just so scary seeing them like that with each other. I'm new to guinea pigs really so I'm not sure if I'll know when they're ready either I just feel like I've failed them today I even had a little cry lol

Anyone who has a little cry about their guinea pigs is someone who truely cares. I hope the bonding goes well for you and your girls next time. My two often have the odd squeakfest esp when they are in the same hiding place.

The guides linked above on here are great as are some youtube vids. Piggiepigpigs, Squeakdreams, Carrieslittlepiggies, Sugar&spice piggies and many more. Best of luck.

Bonding is scary. However, the worst that usually happens is a tussle with sows as long as you remove anything they can get caught in. Just have an open space with some hay in and let them get on with it. It generally takes patience.
That is where I had them, they loved it in there.

IMG_3759.JPG

Anyone who has a little cry about their guinea pigs is someone who truely cares. I hope the bonding goes well for you and your girls next time. My two often have the odd squeakfest esp when they are in the same hiding place.

The guides linked above on here are great as are some youtube vids. Piggiepigpigs, Squeakdreams, Carrieslittlepiggies, Sugar&spice piggies and many more. Best of luck.
I do care lol too much my partner says They're my babies! I'll let you all know how the bonding goes today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back