• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How Soft Does Hay Have To Be In Order To Be Used For Bedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielle Smith

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just received 9.5kg of Ings from Hay For Pets. It looks and smells amazing (... the quality caused the postman to stop and have a 5-minute chat about hay :))). The pigs love it, a handful got half hoovered up in 5 minutes. However, it's not that soft, as it has some quite stalky bits in. Is it safe to put the Ings in their litter tray/loose in the hayloft and let them use it as bedding, or should I have got the Meadow hay?

I guess to generalise this beyond Hay For Pets, what makes a good bedding hay?

:D I have had Ings from Hay-for-Pets and I think it is soft enough for litter trays and hay lofts. Hay-for-Pets leave quite a lot of room their big plastic bags, so you could give a section a good shake inside the bag, and pull out any nasty bits mixed in it.
My girls currently have cardboard boxes full of "soft" Meadow hay from Dust Free hay, and it's not as soft as some hay that I've seen.

Your post is really helpful to me, I was thinking of getting some ings when I get paid but I wasn't sure how soft it is! :)
We have a bag from timothyhay.co.uk at the moment and it's also a stalky hay.
Sometimes I use wilkinsons meadow hay for bedding in their hay loft and it's very soft (not sharp) but most of the time I just fill it up with the stalky hay and they are fine so I think it is safe :)

Your post is really helpful to me, I was thinking of getting some ings when I get paid but I wasn't sure how soft it is! :)
We have a bag from timothyhay.co.uk at the moment and it's also a stalky hay.
Sometimes I use wilkinsons meadow hay for bedding in their hay loft and it's very soft (not sharp) but most of the time I just fill it up with the stalky hay and they are fine so I think it is safe :)

Timothy hay is stalky and not suitable to be used for bedding or areas guinea pigs can play around it. Any other hays like meadows, orchard or ings should be OK.

Timothy hay is stalky and not suitable to be used for bedding or areas guinea pigs can play around it. Any other hays like meadows, orchard or ings should be OK.

They are on fleece, the timothy hay is in their castle which I use as a hay loft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back