• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpennyD

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hello,
I have 2 male Guinea pigs and was wondering for some advice. I've had the piggies for a week now, I have spot cleaned the cage everyday and changed the fleece blanket I use twice in the space if the week, under the fleece blanket I have a roll of carpet and under that some newspaper. This has also been changed. Is this enough? I have noticed a slight smell, only today, even though yesterday I changed the newspaper and fleece blanket over. If I was to get a litter tray would they use it and is so what should I put on to encourage them? I have noticed that they have a favourite corner where they tend to urinate.

Any advice would be welcomed as they are currently living indoors.

Twice weekly full clean and daily spot clean is good.

I notice you say you use carpet under the fleece. How do you clean this - or do you change the carpet ?

You could try a corner litter tray if they have a specific corner they use to urinate. However many people find guinea pigs don't use litter trays, and tend to toilet everywhere, but it's worth a try, especially when yours tend to toilet in one corner.

You could use any litter suitable for small animals. Don't use clumping cat litter, its dangerous if they ingest it. I use Back 2 Nature litter for my boars, but there's plenty of other available brands.

The carpet will soak up the guinea pigs urine. So the smell could come from the carpet even if you change the newspaper and clean the fleece.
Try to get an offcut of vinyl flooring or coroplast to replace the carpet as that could be a health issue for the guinea pigs if it is soaked in urine.

Thank you, o already have correx then on top of that the newspaper, then on top of that the carpet then on top of that the fleece. My plan was the clean the carpet and change that over wi another one like I do with the fleece so I alternate it and change it at the same time I change the newspaper and fleece. I was going to use a carpet cleaning spray but now thinking this might not be the best thing and perhaps get some cheap towels to put under the fleece and just wash these with the fleece

Thank you, o already have correx then on top of that the newspaper, then on top of that the carpet then on top of that the fleece. My plan was the clean the carpet and change that over wi another one like I do with the fleece so I alternate it and change it at the same time I change the newspaper and fleece. I was going to use a carpet cleaning spray but now thinking this might not be the best thing and perhaps get some cheap towels to put under the fleece and just wash these with the fleece
Yep - cheap towels would be better

I use puppy pads and a fleece, it works well for me. No smell at all, as I change the cage every 3 days. It can be a bit of work but if you don't want the smell it will pay off. Just replace puppy pads and wash the fleece everytime I clean the cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back