• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

batman

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey there. I have three guinea pigs, all are male. Two of them are two years old (one is pretty fat, lol) and were purchased together from the same cage and get along great! However, my other guinea pig, 1 year old, has been a bit of a trouble maker. I've been noticing that he's been picking on and fighting my other two pigs. a couple weeks ago, I noticed that there was a big scratch that was somewhat deep and had dried blood around it on one of my two year olds. My family and I have been noticing, throughout the weeks, that the younger one has been fighting with the other two. Sometimes not letting them eat for a while. He also likes to get aggressive and climb onto of them. Today, I noticed that one of my two year olds(the one that had the gash previously) was acting weird and looked almost in pain. I looked through his fur and found some small wounds on his lower back that had dried blood around them. My one year old also likes to pick on my chubby pig as well. For the mean time, I've separated himaromthe other two but hope to return him back soon The cage is very spacious for three pigs and I've never had this issue before. What should I do?

I also wanted to know if there was anything I could do to help my wounded guinea pig?

He has these all along his backside. We believe that it’s from the one year old....

Attachments

• 65FB4EAE-DBCA-4D07-BBEA-8DE241A38A7F.jpeg
    65FB4EAE-DBCA-4D07-BBEA-8DE241A38A7F.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 282117D5-18DE-47B6-A9EA-53104926E044.jpeg
    282117D5-18DE-47B6-A9EA-53104926E044.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 28E48F28-9BF2-47B1-A2B2-A6F1F6EFA52C.jpeg
    28E48F28-9BF2-47B1-A2B2-A6F1F6EFA52C.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 4
Please don't return him with the other 2 . Unfortunately, trios of boars rarely work .

This was my first thought as well-was hoping a member with more certain knowledge would add. I'm sorry to hear the extra stress your family is having with this.

Boars are pretty tricky to get along. Trios haven't been very successful for many of the members here. One of ours just can't be put with any although we have tried many different options. He came from a rescue though and we are really uncertain of his background.

I also wanted to know if there was anything I could do to help my wounded guinea pig?

For now, you can add a bit of salt and water a few times a day but I would really recommend getting him to a vet for an antibiotic to prevent infection as soon as you can. These little ones can be quite fragile.

For now, you can add a bit of salt and water a few times a day but I would really recommend getting him to a vet for an antibiotic to prevent infection as soon as you can. These little ones can be quite fragile.
:agr: A vet visit is in order in case infection sets in.

I agree - a vet check is a good plan.
A way forward for you may be to get the lone boar neutered and then he can live with a sow.
Another option would be a compatible boar from a rescue if that’s a possibility for you.
Hope all works out well

I lit the little one back before night fall last night and it turned out he was just messing around and is doing really good. It’s just his way of playing. I kept the one that is hurt separated. He still is. I looked further into what his wounds are as I was certain that it was not the little one. I compared his wounds to other pictures in like and the symptoms, and I think he may have mange mites.... making it certain that none of it was the little one.

Glad all is well.
It’s always a pleasure to support each other - it’s one of the things I like so much about the forum

Do you guys have an idea of maybe where I can get treatment?

Where are you located?
There are some vets recommended in the vet locator on the forum and members who may be local to you may also know good vets.

We already checked in and most don’t see small animals. Though, we talked to someone who really knows guinea pigs and they said to keep the little one separated just in case. And to also keep an eye on them all just in case it is mites.

Back