• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I lost my guinea pig today.

Aswa

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! Today i sadly lost my guinea pig called Heidi. She was a very energetic piggy. She loved to explore. She also has a sister whos is called Mia. around two mothns ago we noticed a lump under her chin. We took her to a vet. The vet discoverd that it was abscess. She had to take surgery, to clear out the lump. Around two months later, the lump had appeard again! We took her to a vet again. Sadly, the abscess had come back. The vet said that it would be crule to not put her down, as she was too weak to take medicen or surgery. It all came so suddenlly, i couldnt even say good bye to her. My problem here is that my other guinea pig will get lonly. What should i do?

Rest in peace Heidi. 2015-2019.
(sorry for my bad english, I'm from norway.)

Here is a picture of her some months after we first got her!

I'm very sorry for your loss of Heidi. In terms of your other piggy, she will be lonely on her own, and the kindest thing would be to get her a new friend. Of course, leave time for yourself to grieve.

Hello! Today i sadly lost my guinea pig called Heidi. She was a very energetic piggy. She loved to explore. She also has a sister whos is called Mia. around two mothns ago we noticed a lump under her chin. We took her to a vet. The vet discoverd that it was abscess. She had to take surgery, to clear out the lump. Around two months later, the lump had appeard again! We took her to a vet again. Sadly, the abscess had come back. The vet said that it would be crule to not put her down, as she was too weak to take medicen or surgery. It all came so suddenlly, i couldnt even say good bye to her. My problem here is that my other guinea pig will get lonly. What should i do?

Rest in peace Heidi. 2015-2019.
(sorry for my bad english, I'm from norway.)

Here is a picture of her some months after we first got her!

View attachment 113144

Hi and welcome!

I am so sorry for your loss. You are welcome to post a tribute to Heidi in our Rainbow Bridge section if you wish to and whenever it feels right for you. Abscesses are nasty things that can keep coming back if not drained and allowed to heal from the inside out to get every little fleck of infection out. :(

Below is a link to our tips on what you can do for Mia now, in the coming days and in the longer term. Without any rescues to access, you will have to use other places to find her a new friend of her own liking of course.
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

Here is a link to hopefully help you with your own grieving process over the coming days and weeks: Human Bereavement - Grieving, coping tips and support links for guinea pig owners and their children

We also have a bonding guide and will answer any questions when you get to that stage.

In order for us to help you best straight away, please add your country to location in account details, which you can access by clicking on your username on the top bar. This will make it appear with every post you make and allow us to take it into consideration when tailoring any advice to what is relevant and available where you are. Our default is UK based, which can lead to problems or misunderstandings at times.

Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig Here is a link that will help give you some advice on how to help the remaining piggy through grief.

I am So sorry for your loss, please feel free to leave a memorial for your piggy in our rainbow bridge section

I'm very sorry for your loss of Heidi. In terms of your other piggy, she will be lonely on her own, and the kindest thing would be to get her a new friend. Of course, leave time for yourself to grieve.
Thank you

Hi and welcome!

I am so sorry for your loss. You are welcome to post a tribute to Heidi in our Rainbow Bridge section if you wish to and whenever it feels right for you. Abscesses are nasty things that can keep coming back if not drained and allowed to heal from the inside out to get every little fleck of infection out. :(

Below is a link to our tips on what you can do for Mia now, in the coming days and in the longer term. Without any rescues to access, you will have to use other places to find her a new friend of her own liking of course.
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

Here is a link to hopefully help you with your own grieving process over the coming days and weeks: Human Bereavement - Grieving, coping tips and support links for guinea pig owners and their children

We also have a bonding guide and will answer any questions when you get to that stage.

In order for us to help you best straight away, please add your country to location in account details, which you can access by clicking on your username on the top bar. This will make it appear with every post you make and allow us to take it into consideration when tailoring any advice to what is relevant and available where you are. Our default is UK based, which can lead to problems or misunderstandings at times.
Thanks, ill be sure to read it!
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig Here is a link that will help give you some advice on how to help the remaining piggy through grief.

I am So sorry for your loss, please feel free to leave a memorial for your piggy in our rainbow bridge section
Thanks.

I’m so sorry to hear that you have lost Heidi x
Sleep tight little lady x

So sorry for your loss, its a horrible time. I lost 2 piggies this year and I now have 1 boy who very soon will be welcoming some new lady friends. Can't wait to grow the herd again....the more the merrier as they say but all piggies are so unique and just because we lose one, doesn't mean we forget or replace, its just a new opportunity to enjoy a new personality coming into the fold. Good luck with whatever you decide when the time is right for you and Mia xx

Back