• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hamtaro&Friends

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig Maxwell seems to be sick and I'm not sure how. This morning I fed him and my two girls Hamtaro and Oxnard and he was squeaking and happy. I just got home and now he's all slow and he isn't eating, he seemed to be paralyzed but I don't know if it's that. He's barely moving and isn't eating. I noticed before this that he got hungry really quickly but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. He's not even a year old yet and I'm scared. Please help.

Please take him to the vet as soon as possible. Only a vet would be able to tell you what is wrong after a check. Weigh him now and then weigh him daily at the same time. You will have to step in with syringe feeding if he isn’t eating hay. You can use soaked pellets for now. If you don’t have any small syringes you can put it in a bowl or on a spoon for him.

I hope you can get him seen soon. Do let us know how you get on.
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

My guinea pig Maxwell seems to be sick and I'm not sure how. This morning I fed him and my two girls Hamtaro and Oxnard and he was squeaking and happy. I just got home and now he's all slow and he isn't eating, he seemed to be paralyzed but I don't know if it's that. He's barely moving and isn't eating. I noticed before this that he got hungry really quickly but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. He's not even a year old yet and I'm scared. Please help.

Hi!

If your piggy has suddenly lost their mobility and their appetite, then you are dealing with an emergency and need to see a vet as soon as possible. Your piggy is seriously and needs a hands-on examination. The two problems are connected but only a vet can work out what is going on. We can only guess based on the quality of your own guesses and information, which is not sufficient and will therefore not be of any help for you. Not that we can replace a vet in the first place!

This link here contains information about accessing vet care (including out of hours vet care); a list of what needs to be seen how quickly; vital care advice when you have improvise at home (including round the clock support feeding tips for a guinea pig that cannot eat, especially not hay which makes four fifths of what a piggy eats in a day) until you can see a vet and any medication is hopefully kicking in enough for him to hold his weight eating on his own.
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Fingers very firmly crossed.

I don't know if this helps but he seems off balance in a way that he keeps falling to one side all the time. And yes he did suddenly lose weight, I'm not sure how much but it was after breeding time for my guinea pigs. He breeder the two girls and this was his first time doing it so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it. He kept getting smaller even after constantly being hungry and being fed soon after. I wasn't to worried about this since it happened with one of my females, Oxnard (american piggy), she wasn't eaten and we found it it was because she wasn't use to eating veggies. All we feed them are veggies by the way.

I don't know if this helps but he seems off balance in a way that he keeps falling to one side all the time. And yes he did suddenly lose weight, I'm not sure how much but it was after breeding time for my guinea pigs. He breeder the two girls and this was his first time doing it so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it. He kept getting smaller even after constantly being hungry and being fed soon after. I wasn't to worried about this since it happened with one of my females, Oxnard (american piggy), she wasn't eaten and we found it it was because she wasn't use to eating veggies. All we feed them are veggies by the way.

Hi!

Around 80% of the daily food intake needs to be hay. This is absolutely VITAL to keep the constantly growing teeth properly ground down. They have evolved against the very abrasive silica in grass and hay. If they don't get enough hay, then their teeth will overgrow, they cannot eat enough, they will lose weight and they slow starve to death. Fresh veg should only make about the equivalent of an afternoon snack.
Too much fresh food will also impact on the microbiome in the gut and from there impact on their overall health.
Please have your piggies vet checked for overgrown teeth. :(
Here is our diet guide: Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Falling to the side could point to a stroke. He needs to be seen by a vet as soon as possible.

As said, he needs to see a vet as soon as possible.

There’s another thing I wanted to bring up though. We are a non-breeding forum and any talk of intentional breeding is likely to get you in hot water and banned. When you signed up you agreed to this. So if you’re looking for information on that then I’m afraid you will have to go elsewhere.
Terms of Service And Forum Rules

I wasn't looking for information about breeding I was just stating when I saw him losing weight first. Also I'm really grateful for your help but sadly Maxwell passed away when we were on our way to the vet. I'll take this as a lesson to take care of my guinea pigs better.

I’m so sorry you lost him. Sadly they do hide illnesses very well and sometimes won’t show any symptoms until it’s really bad or even too late. You did what you could.

I wasn't looking for information about breeding I was just stating when I saw him losing weight first. Also I'm really grateful for your help but sadly Maxwell passed away when we were on our way to the vet. I'll take this as a lesson to take care of my guinea pigs better.
That's sad Maxwell died . . especially so near to seeing a vet.
Rip little guy. x

I’m sorry that you lost your boy.
However on reading your posts you have clearly been intentionally breeding. We do not approve or endorse the intentional breeding of any animals in this forum. If you wish to remain a member of this forum you will have to agree to desist from any further breeding attempts and to keep intact boars away from sows at all times. Otherwise your account may be terminated.

Back