• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Ideas for Attaching Water Bottle to DIY Cage

felli46

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there! Over December my husband and I created our own DIY guinea pig cage/plant table combo as a Christmas present to me (I have been wanting some guinea pigs for a while now!). On Saturday we will be picking up our guineas from a rescue (a momma and baby!).

I have everything in place but the water bottle. I have an extra bowl that I can use for water but I would prefer a bottle honestly... The walls of our guinea pig house are 3/4" thick. I'm not opposed to drilling a hole in the side if I absolutely have to. The levels are 13" high so attaching a standard guinea pig water bottle on the INSIDE of the cage would put it too low, unless there was a shorter, wider bottle available somewhere.

Let me know if anyone has an idea, thanks so much! :)

Attachments

• IMG-4383.JPG
    IMG-4383.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-4385.JPG
    IMG-4385.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG-4387.JPG
    IMG-4387.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 29
Hello!

Welcome to the forum :)

Bottles are easier to be honest as they wont poo in them! :))

Fab looking cage, my only concern is ramp looks a little steep... but you'll soon find out if that is the case..... How long is the cage? 120cm is needed in length for two piggies.

I think you may have to drill through the perspex, i wouldn't think a spout would be long enough to reach through the wood... but to be honest i am not that handy

Welcome again and I hope you enjoy the forum, be lovely to see photos of your piggies once they arrive!

Wow that cage is very creative and looks beautiful.
I tend to agree that the ramp might be bit steep for piggies ( they aren’t really climbers) and is the top open for proper ventilation?

As for the water bottle you could try using some super strength Velcro.
Don’t forget to post pictures when you collect your new piggies!

I was wondering about the ramp but I guess we will see :) It has a rugged carpet material on it fr good traction. It's attached with hinges so it would be easy to remove and replace with a longer and not-so-steep one if I have to :)

The cage is 41" x 14" at the top and bottom, but the cool thing is that the doors swing out wide and I work full time from home in this room, so I plan to create a little wall for an enclosure and they'll have a huge playground to run around! :D (this was an older photo before we attached carpet to the ramp)

The top and bottom have acrylic panels that are open about 3"-4" for ventilation.

Attachments

• IMG-4332.JPG
    IMG-4332.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 25
That cage is AMAZING! Someday I hope to have a cage like that! Have you thought about velcro? I saw one person put some velcro tape on a tank and then put velcro on the back of a water bottle. Idk? Another idea is to maybe buy a water bottle stand or a water bottle that comes with a stand.
Good luck xx

Thank you so much!
Oooh I didn't know they made things like that! I wonder if I could find one on Amazon...
Velcro could work too possibly. That's how I've attached the fairy lights to the ceiling :)

Thank you so much!
Oooh I didn't know they made things like that! I wonder if I could find one on Amazon...
Velcro could work too possibly. That's how I've attached the fairy lights to the ceiling :)
If you look up guinea pig water bottle stand on google you can find stuff! Good luck again. I cant get over how cute your cage is :)

I was wondering about the ramp but I guess we will see :) It has a rugged carpet material on it fr good traction. It's attached with hinges so it would be easy to remove and replace with a longer and not-so-steep one if I have to :)

The cage is 41" x 14" at the top and bottom, but the cool thing is that the doors swing out wide and I work full time from home in this room, so I plan to create a little wall for an enclosure and they'll have a huge playground to run around! :D (this was an older photo before we attached carpet to the ramp)

The top and bottom have acrylic panels that are open about 3"-4" for ventilation.
Doing this (opening the bottom door) and attaching a run is a better idea since the size of your cage is smaller than the advised minimum cage size (120cm).

No worries, they will have enough room :) From my research I read that the minimum was 7.5 square feet, and my cage is actually 8 square feet, so it's plenty big enough. And especially when I let them out in their "playground" haha

Whilst it does involve drilling, I used bicycle water bottle holders to house water bottles when my pigs lived in the shed. Just screw the holder to the wall inside and pop the bottle in!

Oh not a bad idea! Do you have a pic of that by any chance?
I'm now just kind of wondering if I could find a water bottle with a long enough spout, and maybe attach it with a spring attached to eyelets screwed to the side of the cage... I need to go back to the hardware store, haha!

Oh not a bad idea! Do you have a pic of that by any chance?
I'm now just kind of wondering if I could find a water bottle with a long enough spout, and maybe attach it with a spring attached to eyelets screwed to the side of the cage... I need to go back to the hardware store, haha!
No, sorry but I got the idea from this thread:

Building A New Cage... Squeeeeee!

Just found this in one of the other threads... If you go to right hand top of the screen and type stuff in the SEARCH box it brings up threads that might help you.
View attachment 103891 @Chaz & Dave
[/QUOTE] posted on wrong bit - sorry!

No worries, they will have enough room :) From my research I read that the minimum was 7.5 square feet, and my cage is actually 8 square feet, so it's plenty big enough. And especially when I let them out in their "playground" haha
I’m not good with square feet however you only count one level. So the 7.5 square feet guideline is referring to one level rather than adding two levels together - if that makes sense

Back