• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ill piggy?

Isabela

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a piggie and she started losing some hair around her nose in the past couple of days and today I noticed she has a scab (I don't really know the word for it) on the nose. What could it be? I really hope it's not a fungal infection. The piggies have been having some ''dominance vocal arguments'' in the past couple of days so maybe that could be it?

Attachments

• IMG_20190212_214816.jpg
    IMG_20190212_214816.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 13
it could be a misswipe of a paw but it does look a bit scabby on the other side too which I wouldn't expect with that kind of accidental injury. It could be fungal so it would probably be best to get it checked out sooner rather than later

it could be a misswipe of a paw but it does look a bit scabby on the other side too which I wouldn't expect with that kind of accidental injury. It could be fungal so it would probably be best to get it checked out sooner rather than later
I know that I even shouldn't say that but this piggie had so many problems sadly and I took her to the vet quite a lot of times and it's expensive. Do you think it would be ok to keep a watch on it and if it spreads then see the vet? But the interesting thing is that she did lose hair on her nose. I really hope it's nothing..

Could I cure it with some home remedies?

I know that I even shouldn't say that but this piggie had so many problems sadly and I took her to the vet quite a lot of times and it's expensive. Do you think it would be ok to keep a watch on it and if it spreads then see the vet? But the interesting thing is that she did lose hair on her nose. I really hope it's nothing..

If she's lost hair then unfortunately it is pointing more and more towards a fungal infection. The quicker you act on fungal infections the better for the piggy but also the better for your bank balance. Catching it early it's much more likely to heal quicker and also means its less likely to spread. I understand how it is, Donald has cost me a small fortune in his first year with me, two outbreaks of ringworm (one that wouldn't shift until he had oral medication), an operation for two small abscesses and a fatty lump in his chin, and a few recurring uti's. They certainly know how to pick their moments for getting ill that's one thing for certain!

Could I cure it with some home remedies?

No, home remedies are no replacement for veterinary treatment. Without a qualified vet checking we cannot confirm what you are dealing with let alone then being able to get you the right treatment. If you try a home treatment you could be stripping the infection site but not curing it which in turn could make a later diagnosis much more harder for a vet

No, home remedies are no replacement for veterinary treatment. Without a qualified vet checking we cannot confirm what you are dealing with let alone then being able to get you the right treatment. If you try a home treatment you could be stripping the infection site but not curing it which in turn could make a later diagnosis much more harder for a vet
Do you really think that the only way is to get her to a vet? What could they prescribe her?

Only after a vet check will the vet diagnose appropriate treatment and prescribe whatever is needed accordingly. We are not vets just ordinary members trying to help other members based on our knowledge and experience on what has happened with our own piggies. We can't diagnose the problem for you only a qualified vet can do that.

Do you really think that the only way is to get her to a vet? What could they prescribe her?

What they can prescribe depends on what the problem is. If it's ringworm then itrafungol is best but I have also been given surolan and a spray before. If it's something like chellitius then you will need antibiotics. I can't diagnose the condition myself having no vet qualifications and only going from a picture

Only after a vet check will the vet diagnose appropriate treatment and prescribe whatever is needed accordingly. We are not vets just ordinary members trying to help other members based on our knowledge and experience on what has happened with our own piggies. We can't diagnose the problem for you only a qualified vet can do that.
I understand. Thank you for your help :)

What they can prescribe depends on what the problem is. If it's ringworm then itrafungol is best but I have also been given surolan and a spray before. If it's something like chellitius then you will need antibiotics. I can't diagnose the condition myself having no vet qualifications and only going from a picture
I wil get her to a vet this week if things don't get better, thank you very much :)

Back