• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I'm a new piggy owner and need help! Is this something to be worried about?

a.hoover165

New Born Pup
Reaction score
S'mores used to be my niece's but she didn't care for her properly so she was given to me. When I got her she had growths on her front legs but I took her to a vet and she just trimmed them and said they weren't an issue. One of the growths was ripped off when Smores jumped off my lap this afternoon and was bleeding but I got it to stop fairly quickly. I've had her for about a month and I'm noticing her hind legs looking pretty pink and the front foot pads are puffy. I'm freaking out though because if this is bumblefoot that's bad, but I'm also weary to go to a vet because that could be pricey.

Attachments

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The growths I would imagine were foot Spurs is they look like this?
Photo from hutchagoodlifeblog.wordpress
599577F9-AEF9-4744-8854-6A51D7645F6F.jpeg

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
The red areas could be the start of bumblefoot but we cannot diagnose, only a vet can do that. If it is, then the quicker treatment it started, the better the outcome. Ensure the bedding is always fresh and dry. What are they bedded on?
Having pets can be costly but there is no avoiding it. You have a responsibility to provide vet care when needed.

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The red pads could be urine scad also but please get it checked out by a vet. Urine s lad is easily treatable

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Definitely worth a vet check now to sort any problems early for the price of a routine vet consultation, before this does actually become bumblefoot. It looks like you are dealing with a torn spur and urine scald, but the torn spur and urine scald could both easily get worse and get infected, so best to get treatment early while this looks a fairly minor thing to treat rather than end up with a deep infection that spreads to the bone and facing amputation- piggy feet need to be kept healthy, a poorly foot standing in wee and poo and constantly taking piggy's weight can go bad very fast!

a.hoover165

New Born Pup
Reaction score
The red areas could be the start of bumblefoot but we cannot diagnose, only a vet can do that. If it is, then the quicker treatment it started, the better the outcome. Ensure the bedding is always fresh and dry. What are they bedded on?
Having pets can be costly but there is no avoiding it. You have a responsibility to provide vet care when needed.
Oh definitely! I knew that it was going to be costly when taking her in, and I am prepared to provide vet care when needed. Since I'm new at this I just wasn't sure if I needed to see a vet or if this was nothing to worry about. She was being kept on pine shavings which I assumed caused the growths (which yes looked like that but less severe). When I took her in I switched to paper bedding, but am currently in the process of trying out alternative beddings like fleece.

Dindypig

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
check out the health articles and also the bedding article found in the Guinea pig guides section. There's a tab at the top of the page. You're doing the right thing.

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Foot problems from a previous living situation can unfortunately be an ongoing thing that require regular foot care and foot vet checks to keep from becoming bumblefoot, we have a piggy like that ourselves and the vet has confirmed she would really get bumblefoot if we didnt keep up the feet checks and care. Soft bedding like fleece can really help but if there is an open wound from a torn spur that needs treating by the vet to prevent infection, and you can ask the vet about what foot care they recommend. We use CLX paw wipes and gorgeous guineas foot ointment but this is for bumblefoot prevention on the advice of a vet only- not a treatment for bumblefoot and not suitable for feet with torn spurs or any other open wound, that needs prescription treatment x

a.hoover165

New Born Pup
Reaction score
S'mores used to be my niece's but she didn't care for her properly so she was given to me. When I got her she had growths on her front legs but I took her to a vet and she just trimmed them and said they weren't an issue. One of the growths was ripped off when Smores jumped off my lap this afternoon and was bleeding but I got it to stop fairly quickly. I've had her for about a month and I'm noticing her hind legs looking pretty pink and the front foot pads are puffy. I'm freaking out though because if this is bumblefoot that's bad, but I'm also wary to go to a vet because that could be pricey.
****UPDATE****

I took her to the vet and all is well. The vet said the wound from where the growth was ripped off isn't too deep at all but she gave me a cleanse to use for the next week just in case. As for the redness and slight inflammation, I was given an oral anti-inflammatory to give to her the next few days but other than that there's not too much to worry about! Thanks everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it!