• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I'm A Terrible Mom!

I'm no expert so i don't know but i hope your baby will be fine

Well, I am a little late here. Hope all is well. Just make sure you stop it from bleeding and if you can put the powder on it. :)

You can dip the tip in flour or corn starch- it won't sting and will help the blood to clot. Don't feel too terrible, I'm sure we've all been there, particularly with pigs with dark nails where you can't see the quick!

Well, I am a little late here. Hope all is well. Just make sure you stop it from bleeding and if you can put the powder on it. :)
Better late than never :) The good news is that it appeared to have clotted on its own fairly quickly. He was on my bed at the time and I figured since he was laying down and eating with his foot/paw down and not moving it might clot. After about 3 or 4 mins the blood did slow down and finally stopped.

You can dip the tip in flour or corn starch- it won't sting and will help the blood to clot. Don't feel too terrible, I'm sure we've all been there, particularly with pigs with dark nails where you can't see the quick!
Hmm.. I know I have flour. I'll keep some on me next time for sure. I've been working on his nails for a while now (trying to get the quick to recede) but not being able to see the quick is just incredibly scary for me at times.
Sorry for freaking out on you guys :(

Don’t panic. Flour works well.
When Jemimah first had floor time she somehow managed to tear a nail out of her claw. She came running in leaving little blood shaped paw prints. Slave went into panic mode - Jemimah didn’t care.
I’m sure your little darling will be fine - you’re suffering more.
The price of being a slave.

Don't worry it's a bit nippy but not life threatening. Cornflour works to help clotting if it's a bad one, but it sounds like it's stopped by itself.

This is one reason hubby hates black feet in piggies. Haha. We usually just dip it in powder and it will stop eventually. The piggies are never bothered, just me always worrying. :roll:

I think at some point we have all accidentally clipped too far in a back nail. The reason why you got slow responses is that most of our members in the UK were in bed asleep as when you posted it was after 1am UK time.
Usually it stops on its own. Occasionally I have used flour, cornflour and even soap to clog the bleed. A bar of soap works by you pushing the affected claw into the soft underneath of the soap and getting a clump of soft soap onto the nail. It just helps stop the bleeding.
I also used to keep some quicksilver powder when I kept birds and had to clip claws and beaks that would sometimes bleed. That always worked fine.
Most of the time it looks more dramatic than it really is.

Better late than never :) The good news is that it appeared to have clotted on its own fairly quickly. He was on my bed at the time and I figured since he was laying down and eating with his foot/paw down and not moving it might clot. After about 3 or 4 mins the blood did slow down and finally stopped.

That's good. My piggy Peanut has a few black nails and the rest are white. On the black nails, I just trim the tip of them to be sure.

Back