1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In Need Of Help!

Discussion in 'New and Wannabe Guinea Pig Owners Corner' started by Robynnlouu, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Robynnlouu

Robynnlouu New Born Pup

Hey guys!

So yesterday i got 2 new guinea pigs! I'm a first time owner and just want to make sure I'm doing everything right!

My question is (I'm sure there will be many more!) do you use woodshavings or fleece for your piggies?

At the mo i have shavings down as thats what the store recommended but I'm seeing a lot of videos and blogs (ive been doing my research) where people are using fleece.

What are the pros and cons? Is any particular one better than the other?

Thanks in advance! :) x

IMG_1290.JPG

Julie M, Kylie80, Skittypigs and 2 others like this.
  2. Swissgreys

Forum Buddy

Welcome to the Forum.

:wel:

When it comes to bedding there isn't a right or wrong answer - you have to find what works best for you and your piggies.

There is a great overview of bedding types here;

Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

I started out with Auboise (a bit like woodshavings) and after a couple of months switched over to fleece, and found that was better for me.
    It meant I was throwing away less stuff, and there was less mess in the house. Plus I found cleaning easier.
    But I do sew, so was able to save a fortune by making a lot of my own cage liners and pads for under houses etc.
    If I had to buy everything it would have cost a lot.

Robynnlouu and sport_billy like this.
  3. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi and welcome!

There are now a range of alternative beddings to wood shavings. Most members with indoor guinea pigs use softener-free fleece with an aborbent underlay.

You may find our new owners information bundle helpful, as it contains information on the basics - housing/bedding, diet etc. but also help with settling in, interacting and understanding your guinea pigs as well as learning what is normal and not and when you need to see a vet as well as links to lists of recommended vets. We have tried to cover the most often asked for issues as well as providing help for potential problems that many new owners are not aware of in order to enable them as smooth a start as possible.
    New Owners' " How To" Starter Kit

Robynnlouu likes this.
  4. Robynnlouu

Robynnlouu New Born Pup

Thank you both so much!

Think i will stick to shavings for now! ☺️

5. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator
    Staff Member

Robynnlouu likes this.
  6. Redribbon

Redribbon Junior Guinea Pig

What beautiful piggies! I use jumbo shavings (dust extracted) that is quite cheap for a big bale. My pigs don't smell at all and it's comfy for them too

Robynnlouu likes this.
  7. Dorothy&Coco

Forum Donator 2016/17

Your piggies are very sweet!

We started with wood shavings but I found they were messy (got all over the house somehow!) and hard work to change. We generated a lot for waste.

I switched to fleece which I find easier to change / clean. However I personally feel it gets smellier quicker than the wood shavings.

The link that @Swissgreys gave you is definitely worth a read. There is lots of choice and it's just a matter of finding what suits you and your routine best.

Robynnlouu likes this.
  8. Lady Kelly

Forum Donator 2015/16

I use neither :)) I use aubiose which is wood chippings

eileen and Robynnlouu like this.
  9. Cavy Kung-Fu

Cavy Kung-Fu Adult Guinea Pig

Welcome! You have some beauties there!

I use fleece, it's super easy to keep clean and it's cheap. I didn't like how dusty shavings are and was concerned about URIs (even dust extracted ones make me choke with the dust) and it is super messy and expensive in the long run.

It's a personal choice though, worth experimenting for sure!

Robynnlouu likes this.
  10. Robynnlouu

Robynnlouu New Born Pup

IMG_1310.JPG Ah thank you all! I'm completely besotted with them!

Yeah i think ill see how i go with this then possibly switch as i have noticed theres wood shavings all over my carpet

Also, i have another quick question. They are both males. The brown one (buddah) is very outgoing and not really shy at all! However the white one (goofy) is very skittish and jumpy. Will he become more relaxed with time? And when should i start handling? ive waited 2 days, they are both already eating from my hand and Ive managed to stroke buddah but goof just bolts.

Sorry for more questions! Thank you☺️

11. Dorothy&Coco

Forum Donator 2016/17

We handled ours from about day 3 and got them out every day for very short amounts of time and gradually increased it. Tended to feed them some herbs as an incentive as they love them! One of ours has always liked being handled more than the other but I figured it was important we could do health checks etc so persevered with both. Coco the one who was never so keen still doesn't like being caught but is happy with being held. There are some good videos on here about different ways to catch your piggies using tunnels etc Some people have trained their piggies to go into a carrier for example.

Robynnlouu likes this.
  12. PiggyOwner

PiggyOwner Rescue Buddy
    Forum Donator 2016/17

Aubiose is a hemp based bedding - ( I'm SUCH a pedant :))) .

Robynnlouu likes this.
  13. PiggyOwner

PiggyOwner Rescue Buddy
    Forum Donator 2016/17

It sounds like it may be a good idea to start handling them . Maybe try some of the suggestions in this thread for Goof?
    How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

Robynnlouu likes this.
  14. Lady Kelly

Forum Donator 2015/16

Fair enough. All I know is I get 60kg for less than £30 and I won't need to buy anymore for some time :))

Robynnlouu, Tim, Lorcan and 1 other person like this.
  15. PiggyOwner

PiggyOwner Rescue Buddy
    Forum Donator 2016/17

:like::like::like:

Robynnlouu and Lorcan like this.
  16. Lorcan

Lorcan Teenage Guinea Pig

I also use none of the above, but use Carefresh Natural instead. The Carefresh Ultra is too cotton wool like and the basic stuff in the small bags always reminded me of tissue paper that would help nobody, but man, the Natural stuff is just amazing. Which only goes to prove that piggy bedding purchases can be one of the most complicated things on the planet.

Robynnlouu likes this.
  17. Puma

Puma New Born Pup

Hello and welcome :)

I use fleece and find it super easy to clean. Doesn't take much space away, not a lot of rubbish, dust free, not too expensive in the long term. Use it with puppy pads. Used wood shavings first during their first week to get them settled as this is that they were used to.

One of my three girls is quite shy as well whereas the other two quite happily greet me and eat out of my hand. None of them likes being picked up or "cuddled". Getting them trained on using the pet carrier when it's time for weighing or floor time. Works well!

Robynnlouu likes this.
  18. Skittypigs

Skittypigs Junior Guinea Pig

They look cuties!

Robynnlouu likes this.
  19. MichelleM

MichelleM New Born Pup

I started out using wood shavings for my two boys, but cleaning their cage became such a messy chore. My piggies also sneezed a lot from it.

I switched to fleece and they loved it rigt away. They both started stretching out at nap time and I'm sure it fel softer on their feet. It's also MUCH easier to clean. Poo piles up more since it can't be buried, but it takes much less time with the hand vac and dust pan than having to change oug and buy all those wood shavings!

Good luck! :)

Robynnlouu likes this.
  20. AimeeOx

AimeeOx Junior Guinea Pig

Hello! I used to use wood shavings, following a pet stores recommendations, but with the mess and expense I've now switched to Vet Bed, with towels underneath to absorb wee and water spills - I also noticed that one of my pigs was getting red feet, which have now gone back to normal since using the Vet Bed.

As others have said it's much easier to clean when the poop can't be buried, and as long as you have an absorbent layer underneath the top layer stays dry, and they don't smell (they live in the living room)!

See how you and the pigs get on with the wood shavings - I switched after about three months :)

Robynnlouu likes this.