• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is He Okay?

Cara100

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey, SO I was here around a month against with concerns over my new Guinea pigs, Trevor, behaviour. He bites at the bars a lot, which has made neighbours complain and now we're moving him into a 6 foot long, foot 1/2 wide "fish tank" with an open top. He's very very skittish even though I've done everything possible to try and maintain trust with him, he's coming up to 3 1/2 months old now, I think. He was a very cuddly guy and used to pancake all the time on my legs and chest, he seemed very comfortable. Not sure if I did something wrong but one day he switched and now I can hardly touch him without him "popcorning" and trying to bite me. Is he just hormonal? He does have MASSIVE balls. Is there anything I can do to stop him biting and his weird so called popcorning? He definetly cannot control himself and ends up rolling on his back a lot and won't let me touch him. I'll attach a recent video of him doing it. Thanks.

Hey, SO I was here around a month against with concerns over my new Guinea pigs, Trevor, behaviour. He bites at the bars a lot, which has made neighbours complain and now we're moving him into a 6 foot long, foot 1/2 wide "fish tank" with an open top. He's very very skittish even though I've done everything possible to try and maintain trust with him, he's coming up to 3 1/2 months old now, I think. He was a very cuddly guy and used to pancake all the time on my legs and chest, he seemed very comfortable. Not sure if I did something wrong but one day he switched and now I can hardly touch him without him "popcorning" and trying to bite me. Is he just hormonal? He does have MASSIVE balls. Is there anything I can do to stop him biting and his weird so called popcorning? He definetly cannot control himself and ends up rolling on his back a lot and won't let me touch him. I'll attach a recent video of him doing it. Thanks.

Your boy's testicles have obviously started to descend.

Please read these two guides and use the piggy whispering tips to ensure your boy in piggy body language of your love, but to assert your dominance unmistakeably, so knows that you are the one who says what goes. If you put the issue to him in terms that he instinctvely understands, there won't be a struggle and you do not have to unkind.
" Biting" And What You Can Do
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

First of all - hang in there! It can be stressful bonding with a piggy and gaining their trust but I'll be worth it in the end!

When piggies pancake on your knee, especially very soon after coming home with you, it can be a fear response rather than being comfortable. So it might be that Trevor has always been nervous and his behaviour is just showing differently now than before :)

Have you given his skin a good check over? The strange popcorning looks almost like fitting which can be a symptom of a skin issue, especially if it happens when you try to touch him.

First of all - hang in there! It can be stressful bonding with a piggy and gaining their trust but I'll be worth it in the end!

When piggies pancake on your knee, especially very soon after coming home with you, it can be a fear response rather than being comfortable. So it might be that Trevor has always been nervous and his behaviour is just showing differently now than before :)

Have you given his skin a good check over? The strange popcorning looks almost like fitting which can be a symptom of a skin issue, especially if it happens when you try to touch him.
What type of thing would I be looking for?

Hi Cara, there can be some or no visible signs of things like mites. Hair loss especially in a v part way down their back or flaky skin from scratching are two examples. I think if you have had the piggies for a month and are concerned perhaps a health check by a savvy vet would resolve the problem or put your mind at ease. I know some piggies can have very special popcorning methods and I don't think it's the first time I've seen a member concerned about whether it's popcorning or fitting

What type of thing would I be looking for?
Any scabby bits, overly red bits or dry bits could indicate that his skin is a bit irritated, maybe through parasites or fungus! If you have a good ruffle through his fur to see if you can spot any tiny black bits stuck to the fur on his rump too - these may be lice which could make him itchy :)

Back