• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is My Pig Alright On His Own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJade

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Two posts in two days!

I'm just looking for anyone's insight into owning single guinea pigs. I'm not in a situation where I can add another guinea pig to my single boar(I had to seperate my trio due to fights) to make a pair currently. He doesn't seem depressed, he eats well and is interested in all the things in his hutch (he destroys anything made from willow) he only thing he doesn't do much any more is be very vocal. I'm just wondering about anyone else's experience with single guinea pigs? And if he's reasonably happy on his own? He does genuinely seem it which is why I'm also a little more reluctant to disrupt him, he's a proper laid back guy but big change really puts him about.

Thanks!

I've had single boars on two occasions. Both acted generally okay on their own, but I should probably refer to them separately as the scenarios were very different. My elderly boar was alone for about a year or so after his brother died. He didn't really care. He was never very vocal, and his brother picked on him a lot, so he didn't miss his company too much. He behaved quietly, but didn't seem to pine for his own kind. However, when the babies came around he was very good with them. He accepted them readily and seemed very happy to see them, although a little overwhelmed. Overall this showed me that despite seeming fine, he would've appreciated company - and although it wasn't directly affecting his health when he was a lone pig, he would have preferred company if given the choice.
My younger boar had to be separated from the older pig and our other young boar due to fights, just like your own pigs. He was one of the aggressors, and fought with the other young boy, but suffered worst from it. When on his own he pined horribly. He was incredibly vocal towards us, and would scream when he thought one of the other boys (who lived outside, whereas he lived inside) were in the house for lap time. If he heard them, he'd go crazy from inside his cage. If he could smell where they'd been he'd popcorn all over the place. It was quite sad to see him so lonely, so we got him a pal as soon as possible, and now he's fairly happy.
I think it very much depends on your pig. Although all pigs would likely be happiest with their own species for company, I know many can survive without it. If you can put your boy's hutch near the pairs, this might make him happier as he'll be able to communicate with them. My boy pairs are currently in hutches facing one another with a long run in between, which they're allowed in alternatively. They love shouting at one another and trying to break into eachother's cages aha. Whatever you decide to do; good luck!

We had a boar trio and had to seperate to a pair and a single. They are in a c and cage and the single boar lives in a second level above the pair. His section is L shaped so there is an area where the pair downstairs can reach up and sniff him through the bars. If downstairs are drinking, upstairs hears the bottle and he drinks and vice versa. If the downstairs pair are rumbling at each other the upstairs one wheeks to encourage them. He seems to have plenty of interaction without actually being with the pair. In fact out of the three it is the single one who popcorns more often.
I guess it is partly down to their individual personality, but our single seems very happy.

As long as your single boar can interact through the bars with your other two boys at any time for constant stimulation, he is fine. If that is not the case, then I would really consider rescue dating. We have a rescue fosterer member from just up the road in Sheffield that may be able to help you.

As long as your single boar can interact through the bars with your other two boys at any time for constant stimulation, he is fine. If that is not the case, then I would really consider rescue dating. We have a rescue fosterer member from just up the road in Sheffield that may be able to help you.

They're on top of one another, so he can hear them at all times, he just can't see them. To be honest, there were times when they were so aggressive to one another that since Dennis has been on his own, besides not being as vocal, he seems much more relaxed.
But like I say, I'm not really in a position currently to take on another guinea pig. I'd have to have some time off work before I'd feel comfortable to do it so that I can monitor the situation, which I don't have any until the summer time.

I had Oreo as a lone piggie for a few months, after I lost his cage mate :(. I think he went into acute pining but Toffee died two days before I had to go away (my Dad spent a lot on it so I couldn't not go) so my Mum looked after him. I got back four days later but just thought he was showing normal signs of depression after losing a cage mate, so I didn't weigh and take him to the vets until he started refusing flaked peas.

I just had him bonded at a rescue and he is so incredibly happy. They hate to be apart from each other and are so well matched. I haven't seen him so vocal or happy in years!

I would definitely bond him if possible. It will make a world of difference.

I had Oreo as a lone piggie for a few months, after I lost his cage mate :(. I think he went into acute pining but Toffee died two days before I had to go away (my Dad spent a lot on it so I couldn't not go) so my Mum looked after him. I got back four days later but just thought he was showing normal signs of depression after losing a cage mate, so I didn't weigh and take him to the vets until he started refusing flaked peas.

I just had him bonded at a rescue and he is so incredibly happy. They hate to be apart from each other and are so well matched. I haven't seen him so vocal or happy in years!

I would definitely bond him if possible. It will make a world of difference.

I will eventually, just not really possible right now. I was just wondering if he'd be okay for the short term, until summer. To be honest, I don't really have much option for him other than he'll have to just manage for a while. I'm not at all concerned about him losing weight or anything. Out of all 3 of my guinea pigs, he's the healthiest and weighs the most!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back