• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is this the right amount of veggies per pig? Also, do pregnant guineas need extra?

Hnrpiggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
sooo I made a post in another category because it was about housing and someone pointed out that I was feeding them the wrong amount of veggies (there was loads of kale and spinach- too much calcium) so I read the link and changed up their daily veggies a bit. Is this right?

I have each pig:
2 small chunks of celery
1 small chunk of cucumber
2 slices of pepper (one red one green - not sure if the colour matters)
1 romaine lettuce leaf,
A little bit of spring greens,
2 sprigs of corriander

I also added
A small chunk of asparagus
2 sprigs of parsley
2 blueberries (because I don’t remember the last time I actually gave them any fruit)

Just as a treat

please tell me this is alright for daily veggies? Plus the extra treats that they get every now and then.

They’ve all left some of it anyway. Maybe the portion was still too big?

ALSO,
The black guinea pig is pregnant, does she need more or less of anything in her diet?

thank you !

Attachments

• 686E74F9-C9C8-4BC9-ADAF-9C6D703E8A93.jpeg
    686E74F9-C9C8-4BC9-ADAF-9C6D703E8A93.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 22
It does sound quite a lot for one piggy. I would probably cut back to one slice of pepper, celery and cucumber. Also maybe do one extra veg.

You don’t want to be feeding a pregnant piggy extra. Big babies can lead to a difficult birth. I’ll link the pregnancy (and nursing) diet guide below as well as the general feeding guide. In the latter there’s a photo of a reasonable portion for a piggy. it’s one cup a day if I remember correctly.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/pregnancy-and-nursing-diet.109377/
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

I’m back with another days worth of veggies!
Is THIS right:
-one chunk of cucumber
-one chunk of celery
-one chunk of pepper
-one romaine leaf
- two sprigs of corriander
- half of a grape (they’re pretty big grapes) As a treat
- a little parsley because I’ve run out of spring greens
- a small chunk of asparagus Also because I ran out of spring greens.

All fitting into one cup!

I’m trying to get their diet perfect because since quarantine started I’ve been spending so much time with them and am noticing little things that make me a bit worried. I’ve become so paranoid about their health and wellbeing - especially as I now have a pregnant pig too!

Attachments

• 882EDEB0-BFC9-4877-89D1-35390FBC5B85.jpeg
    882EDEB0-BFC9-4877-89D1-35390FBC5B85.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 18A0951E-8180-426C-84DE-1092CFDF8FC9.jpeg
    18A0951E-8180-426C-84DE-1092CFDF8FC9.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 12
That’s looking better. I wouldn’t necessarily replace the spring greens if you don’t have them in. Daily veg are celery, cucumber, pepper, coriander and green beans. You can feed asparagus but not sure how often. Parsley maximum once a week, though I’d give it as an occasional treat because of the calcium.

As an example, my piggies will always have pepper and cucumber. Then lettuce or a salad mix, celery, green beans and coriander. I occasionally give them a small slice of carrot or the carrot top, a small piece of apple, a blueberry and pea flakes. They get one of those maybe once a month. I tend to forget to give them fruit, and the husband will feed the carrot sometimes when he’s cooking with them.

That’s looking better. I wouldn’t necessarily replace the spring greens if you don’t have them in. Daily veg are celery, cucumber, pepper, coriander and green beans. You can feed asparagus but not sure how often. Parsley maximum once a week, though I’d give it as an occasional treat because of the calcium.

As an example, my piggies will always have pepper and cucumber. Then lettuce or a salad mix, celery, green beans and coriander. I occasionally give them a small slice of carrot or the carrot top, a small piece of apple, a blueberry and pea flakes. They get one of those maybe once a month. I tend to forget to give them fruit, and the husband will feed the carrot sometimes when he’s cooking with them.
They don’t eat the asparagus anyway so I’m going to stop feeding them it. They won’t eat celery either. Can’t blame them though! Not a fan of it myself either. I usually never give them fruit either.
ill have to get some green beans when I go to the shop next!

I give mine a cup and a half of veggies per piggy per day. I divide their veggies into three meals so they can have three meals a day. Mine eat celery and many types of veggies. I give them variety of veggies for nutritional benefit.
They get very minimum amount of pellets because veggies take large part of their meals sometimes replacing pellets. Oxbow hay is provided daily without interruption.

I think I may be overfeeding my veggies😂😂😂
Seriously I thought I wasn't giving them enough but I realise now it's too much.
But I worry that they won't get an equal share of veg because some are greedier than others......peanut😳
How can I be sure that the greedy ones aren't pinching the others food?

Seriously I thought I wasn't giving them enough but I realise now it's too much.
But I worry that they won't get an equal share of veg because some are greedier than others......peanut😳

I scatter feed veg and pellets. That way, each piggy gets an equal opportunity to forage and find their veg. I try to make sure it either spreads all the way round the cage, or at least in two places so they don’t have to be near each other and can get their fair share

Put them in different corners of the cage. And also think about hand feeding so they all get their share. Scatter feeding as above is a good one as well. I do that for the piggies when I’m using puppy pads in their hay tray.

Put them in different corners of the cage. And also think about hand feeding so they all get their share. Scatter feeding as above is a good one as well. I do that for
I take each pig out and hand feel them their portion. Whatever is left over after they’ve all had their share, I just put in the cage for anyone to eat. 😊

Do you feed them all the same thing? If so there shouldn’t be anything leftover. I would hand feed in the cage rather than take them each out - top pig first.

Do you feed them all the same thing? If so there shouldn’t be anything leftover. I would hand feed in the cage rather than take them each out - top pig first.
I can hand feed my two pairs,but the 3 in the shed are still wary of me and only 1 will come and take food from me,the other 2 just go round stealing everyone else's food lol😂
I think I will try the scatter feeding method first.xx

Yes they can. But don’t give too much as it can cause bloat, especially when they’re not used to it.

Back