Janey’s Piggies

Marmalade seems to have settled really well and it was so rewarding to see 3 little old lady popcorns today! :wub: She’s very relaxed around people it seems and is happy to be out and about as well as being picked up (when we cleaned the cage earlier) and she adores her veggies! IMG_3412.webp
 
I had a conversation today with the RSPCA about the previous attempt to bond Marmalade with 3 piggies that unfortunately didn’t work out. It was done on neutral ground and was going ok at first but then the chasing and nipping escalated to the point that the piggies were separated for a few days and then reintroduced on neutral ground again, with the same result, a few times. It was unclear who was showing dominance.

I think Marmalade has lived as a single piggy all her life and I’m thinking that although she seems to want to be with my piggies/shows interest through the bars, she might not know how to be with other piggies. She’s also very confident around people and it’s made me wonder even more whether attempting to bond with my Dori is a viable option. If I try and it doesn’t work out straight away, then Dori will still be able to go back with Selwyn and Margot, but if it’s one of those cases where it fails days into the bonding process, then I could potentially be left with a pair and two singles, which isn’t really workable and Marmalade would have to go back. She’s such a lovely piggy, I really don’t want that to happen. Dori has shown some interest but not as much as Margot and Selwyn.

So, I’m really wondering whether to just let her live alongside and not disrupt my existing trio. I know it’s not ideal but is acceptable.

I’d love to know what others think.
 
Back
Top