• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Just looking for some additional advice about fighting boars

lauryn1289

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I posted a couple of days ago about two of my boys Ollie and Bobby who were bonded and living happily together suddenly fighting and how I was separating them at night and when I was away out of fear of them hurting eachother when I wasn’t there (which I realise now wasn’t the best thing to do.)

In my post I mentioned how in their last fight blood was drawn. I took Bobby who’s usually the instigator of the fighting to the vet yesterday because Ollie made a wound in his cheek. Bobby’s on antibiotics and some pain relief now and much better. Their cage is now divided for all 3 pigs including their neighbour Kip to where they can all see eachother and interact, but now that the dust has settled a bit I’m wondering if I should make an attempt at rebonding?

Ollie seems quite frustrated being separated from himand again for the most part he’s the more submissive one usually. He’s biting at the bars and spending a lot of time beside the bars. I managed to extend their C&C cage a bit with some spare cubes so if I was in theory to take out the dividing wall they’d have a good bit more space, I’m wondering if even the extra space would make a difference? I’m a bit torn on what to do and what the best way to go about it is. I know and was told generally fights involving blood mean separation so I’m just wondering if attempting a supervised reintroduction is worth it and if so that it won’t do more harm than good. Apologies for another post on the same topic, Kip and his friend Rico who passed away last year had a few fights here and there at the beginning but never anything too serious so my experience with this kind of thing is very limited and of course ideally I’d love if there was any chance they could get along again

As things had been escalating and resulted in this most recent fight, then it’s safe to say their bond, sadly, is over. Attempting a reintroduction, even with a bigger cage, won’t make them like each other.
If Ollie, as the normally submissive piggy, was the instigator of this particular fight, it suggests he has had enough of the relationship and Bobby’s previous behaviour and no longer wants to be with him.
Laying next to bars is not a friendly ‘want to be back together‘ gesture, it can be a territory marking exercise - one piggy warning they other not to come close.

Hi, unfortunately I had this with my two male piggies (the resulting injury was a bite to the eye) it sadly is the case that when they fight and start drawing blood they're probably not going to be friends anymore...keeping them side by side in their cages is probably the best thing as they can still communicate and see eachother but hopefully none of the biting...if you're worried about them being on their own it would probably be better to have them bonded with a new cage mate instead...hopefully over time it will settle and instead of trying to intimidate eachother they will just start ignoring eachother while in the cage...it is sad when a bond comes to an end though

Back