• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Liliath Carmelita's Regal Ramblings

As an addendum, as you stated that money is tight it's worth looking on Amazon for songmics grids as they work out far cheaper than any cages.

It was listed as great for guinea pigs and other small animals

Sadly this cage is entirely unsuitable and inappropriate for guinea pigs.
Please do not put your piggies into it.

It doesn’t meet size requirements as the cage
only measures 71x71cm (the ground measurements are the only ones which count) which isnt even welfare minimum. Their cage needs to be 150x60cm on a single level.

Piggies are ground roaming, and need large flat space to run, they don’t climb - they need their cage to be fully on ground level.
Plus it also poses a huge risk - if a piggy fell from
the top level it would cause significant injuries and would potentially be fatal.

They will never walk up the ramps - they are far too steep, aren’t designed for piggies and are frankly a huge hazard of risk of trapped and broken toes. Walking on the bars (not that they would - piggies will refuse to go anywhere near those ramps) would also cause bumble foot and sore foot pads.

The purple cage your piggy is currently in on your picture is the sort of thing you need - except it looks like it needs to be much bigger.
What are the measurements of the purple cage you have right now?

Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages
Cage Size Guide

Too small for two. It was what the previous owners had her in and I don't feel like it's big enough for one

That is what I suspected.
A single piggy needs a minimum of 120x60cm. 150x60cm is best for two (although 120x60cm is the welfare minimum for two piggies also)

You can either
- get a new one like you currently have but bigger
- get another one like you currently have and join the two together (this has been done by owners many times - you would either have to put a bridge over the two sides or cut a section out of the sides so they can freely walk around the space)
- get a c&c cage. A 4x2 is needed for two sows. As mentioned above, Amazon sell songmics grids which Make fantastic cages for piggies at a fraction of the price of c&c kits

It was listed as great for guinea pigs and other small animals
Sadly such sellers are only interested in selling as much as they can, not decent pet care. It's described as a cat cage, who would keep a cat in there when they need to be able to run and play?
Just a thought if it's too late to cancel your order, is it made of grids that clip together? If so, you could rearrange the grids to make a big single level cage ...

I saw the single level ones... A couple are actually a bit more affordable. Wanted to give her a more interesting play area and home to explore

The Guinea Pig care world can be so confusing- everyone here is giving you the best possible advice so that you don't buy expensive but unsuitable cages. 🥰
Often Gumtree/Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace have cheaper second hand C and C cages

I saw the single level ones... A couple are actually a bit more affordable. Wanted to give her a more interesting play area and home to explore

That’s a lovely thought but it isn’t what piggies actually need.
The best things to keep them entertained is a friend, cardboard boxes with doors cut in and huge amounts of hay just thrown in the cage for them to run through, sleep in and most importantly eat!
Three quarters of their diet needs to be hay, with one cup of veg and just one tablespoon of pellets per pig per day. Make sure you don’t leave them with access to pellets all day as they aren’t healthy. Mine get 8-10 pellets each and even then only get them 2-3 times week a week

QUOTE="JayDubb78, post: 2933568, member: 155554"]
Waiting on the agent in chat to confirm a cancellation. Just paid for it last night so hopefully it's not too late
[/QUOTE]

I hope the cancellation process is easy for you

Why can't people just use feet and inches like normal American measurement unit snobs? 😂

We are a UK based forum and therefore use metric - given we haven’t used or been taught imperial in schools for decades!
I was never actually taught imperial and while I do use it at times some things just don’t make sense - like I know feet and inches and can tell you how big something is using both it and metric but cannot get my head around Fahrenheit!

We are a UK based forum and therefore use metric - given we haven’t used or been taught imperial in schools for decades!
I was never actually taught imperial and while I do use it at times some things just don’t make sense - like I know feet and inches and can tell you how big something is using both it and metric but cannot get my head around Fahrenheit!
I'm a bit older and do actually still think in imperial , many Amazon purchases have been amusing because of this...😂

Back