• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Liquid from nose

Popcorn bby

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi. Basically, yesterday I noticed for the first time that one of my guinea pig's (Pumpkin) nostril (just one I am pretty sure) had this white mucus-looking liquid inside. It would appear in her nostril every time she breathed out, and a little crust of it seemed to be on the outside. I kept an eye on it but today at 1AM i am pretty sure I saw a lot of it hanging out of her nose, but it was dark and hard to tell. She probably wiped it off or it got wiped off when I picked her up cause it is not there anymore. She always sneezes a lot so I am not sure if she's sneezing more than usual, it is hard to tell (but yes she is still sneezing A LOT). I don't know if she is breathing harder than usual or if it is just me being paranoid. Either way, I'm freaked out. Does anyone know what this could be?

It is impossible to tell based on a description over the internet.
But anything like this could be the start of an URI and really should be checked by a vet.
If it is an infection then it sounds like you have caught it early so with proper diagnosis and medication it should be easy to treat.
If you have concerns please have her seen by a vet.

It is impossible to tell based on a description over the internet.
But anything like this could be the start of an URI and really should be checked by a vet.
If it is an infection then it sounds like you have caught it early so with proper diagnosis and medication it should be easy to treat.
If you have concerns please have her seen by a vet.
Update! We just went to the vet today and she said that she has a URI, although she did insinuate that it was in the early stages. She also strongly recommended and told us to not give her cagemate baytril unless she starts showing symptoms. I am a bit hesitant about this since they literally live together and share water/other things but I trust the vet, any insight on this? Thank you :))

Update! We just went to the vet today and she said that she has a URI, although she did insinuate that it was in the early stages. She also strongly recommended and told us to not give her cagemate baytril unless she starts showing symptoms. I am a bit hesitant about this since they literally live together and share water/other things but I trust the vet, any insight on this? Thank you :))

They may live together and share items but it doesn’t mean she will catch the infection. If her cage mate’s immune system is strong, she may be able to fight it off and not become ill with it. Keep an eye on her and take her to the vet if she shows symptoms.

Well done for having her seen by the vet so quickly and good luck with the treatment.
@Piggies&buns is correct - it is fine not to give her cage mate antibiotics unless she also starts showing signs of an infection, and then she needs to see the vet for a proper diagnosis.
It's the same as different people in the same household not always having the same illness at the same time.

Back