• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

TawniJade15

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just first wanted to say what a wonderful place this forum is, it's so lovely to see so many people with a shared live of Piggies helping eachother out.

I had 2 male Guinea pigs; Arthur and Merlin.
Sadly, I returned from work on Thursday to find that Merlin had passed away :'(
After having a good long cry I focused my attentions in Arthur, I disinfected the cage and I am treating him like a prince.
However the boys had been together since they were babies and I am now concerned that Arthur is going to get lonely.
My question is; if I want to get a new friend for Arthur, am i better off getting an adult male pig or a baby male pig?
I'm not sure what is the best way to go as this is my first time having males.

Thanks in advance!

1497649862119.jpg

The best way is to let him choose. If you can find a good guinea pig rescue they will let him come along and choose his own ew friend.

It all depends on personality really. I've only ever had boars and it's not an exact science. Some take well to little babies whereas others prefer older friends

Thank you for the response,

I have just sent an email to my local piggy rescue however it's showing on their website that they currently don't have any for adoption.

Fingers crossed though

Would you ever consider having him neutered? Then he could have a piggy wife. It would give him more choice when choosing a new cagemate.

Would you ever consider having him neutered? Then he could have a piggy wife. It would give him more choice when choosing a new cagemate.
I'd definitely consider it, do you know roughly how much it costs to have pigs neutered?

Hi all,

Just first wanted to say what a wonderful place this forum is, it's so lovely to see so many people with a shared live of Piggies helping eachother out.

I had 2 male Guinea pigs; Arthur and Merlin.
Sadly, I returned from work on Thursday to find that Merlin had passed away :'(
After having a good long cry I focused my attentions in Arthur, I disinfected the cage and I am treating him like a prince.
However the boys had been together since they were babies and I am now concerned that Arthur is going to get lonely.
My question is; if I want to get a new friend for Arthur, am i better off getting an adult male pig or a baby male pig?
I'm not sure what is the best way to go as this is my first time having males.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 65931
I'm so sorry for the loss of merlin.Arthur is gorgeous, he looks just like my Guiseppe.Are you near any rescues.That would be your best option x

Ive had ten of my own boars neutered and it costs me 70 pounds for each piggie.They stay in overnight.my vet has done many neuters and has extensive knowledge of cavies.I find the factor that seats me is experience if a cavy savvy vet...not cost.you could ask local rescues if any boar dating is performed near you.

Back