• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Lost A Pig Inside My House.?

Braelyn

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Just barley a week ago I got 2 male piggies from separate adoptions and they've been somewhat getting along but mainly they are still terrified of me. I know it will take time but I'm in a mess right now. Their enclosure is in a spare room with a lot of stuff stacked around their space but it's all sectioned off with metal sheets and they've successfully been living in there since I've had them but I just checked on them about 30 minutes ago and one is missing. He could be anywhere behind all of the stuff and he would never come to me because of how skiddish he still is. Any advice on how I could get him back or even locate him at this point? I'm afraid if I started taking the boxes out they may adjust or fall and hurt him

You could try to tempt him out with some veg. Is there someone there that could remove the boxes while you steady the boxes. You have to remove them to find him, if he hasn't fed or drunk since he's been gone, he could get very poorly. Once you've found him to have to clear the room or move the piggies cage. How long have you had your piggies & when did you start holding them.

Last edited:
I would advise you to kneel down, so that your eyes are nearly level to where his eyes would be. Then look for the most obvious niches and hiding places and start from there. Once you've located him, you can indeed try tempting him with veggies.

If this fails, you'd need to start removing all objects from the room, making sure to work your way from top to bottom and securing the bottom boxes carefully.

I'd also advise you to check carefully how the little escape artist sneaked out, so you can prevent further escapades :)

I know the feeling! When I first attempted floortime Mo he managed to heft a pile of books out the way and squeeze under my bookshelf. Then when I went to get him he shot under my bed. Luckily, it was a pile of boxes that blocked him off and allowed me to pick him up and return him to his cage safe. I don't know who was more stressed afterwards- him or me!

I would try the vege idea and rustle some plastic bag so they know it's food- hopefully one will wheek and draw the runaway out from hiding. Otherwise I would start carefully moving the boxes to find him- are there any wires in that room?

I found him! I kept checking and put his buddy in a cage in the room and some veggies. He eventually came out and I was able to corner him and get him in a cage. Thank you everyone for your advice!

I got my first one on Sunday 11-26 and got him a friend on 11-29. They're both skiddish but one will come up to me for treats but neither of them like to be picked up, one will make a lot of ruckus and try to wiggle away but the other freezes and allows you to hold him. I've only picked them up a few times but I'm trying to let them know their new home is safe.

so glad that you have found your escape artist!
They can take a while to get used to handling but if you have them in a tunnel or a nest type bed you can carefully pick that up and sit with them on your knee and just talk to them for a while. Offer a tasty treat and they will get used to you giving them something tasty while speaking to them. Gradually you can then put a hand in and stroke the cheek area until they get used to the feel of you. After that gently pop a hand beneath them and one on the top to bring one out onto your knee- have a towel handy as they will still want somewhere secure to hide under while on your knee! Do this at floor level as they may struggle and try to jump. Just time and patience to tame them but remember they don't all enjoy lap time!

Just barley a week ago I got 2 male piggies from separate adoptions and they've been somewhat getting along but mainly they are still terrified of me. I know it will take time but I'm in a mess right now. Their enclosure is in a spare room with a lot of stuff stacked around their space but it's all sectioned off with metal sheets and they've successfully been living in there since I've had them but I just checked on them about 30 minutes ago and one is missing. He could be anywhere behind all of the stuff and he would never come to me because of how skiddish he still is. Any advice on how I could get him back or even locate him at this point? I'm afraid if I started taking the boxes out they may adjust or fall and hurt him

Hi! Take a deep breath! Ideally, you place several walk-in cardboard boxes filled with water, hay and veg around the room and give the boy time to come out overnight and hopefully fall asleep in one of the boxes. Be patient.

I found him! I kept checking and put his buddy in a cage in the room and some veggies. He eventually came out and I was able to corner him and get him in a cage. Thank you everyone for your advice!

I got my first one on Sunday 11-26 and got him a friend on 11-29. They're both skiddish but one will come up to me for treats but neither of them like to be picked up, one will make a lot of ruckus and try to wiggle away but the other freezes and allows you to hold him. I've only picked them up a few times but I'm trying to let them know their new home is safe.

Welcoem to the forum. So pleased you have found him :)

Have a look at this video, shows you a stress free way of collecting your piggy

I didn't know there was official guinea pig forum videos! :yikes:
Only two, i never got round to doing anymore... it is something I need to do next year... ideas on videos welcome :)

Only two, i never got round to doing anymore... it is something I need to do next year... ideas on videos welcome :)
Going with the how-to theme:
-nail clipping
-syringe medicine
-health checks like boar bits & bums
-grooming

Maybe some understanding sounds and behaviours too? Like rumble strutting, chin raising, wheeking etc

There's another youtuber that has a lot of those kind of videos and I've tried to watch as many as possible. I will definitely be trying to pick them up like that from now on because my little guys are quick and know how to squeeze between fingers!

There's another youtuber that has a lot of those kind of videos and I've tried to watch as many as possible. I will definitely be trying to pick them up like that from now on because my little guys are quick and know how to squeeze between fingers!

You may find our guide collection for new owners helpful. Not much in the way of videos as we do not have an uploading option on the forum, but lots of helpful and practical advice from piggy whispering to understanding behaviour and learning what is normal and what are signs of illness!
New Owners' Problem Solver And Information Collection

I've read so many posts on here, it's been the most helpful. I love that I can ask here for any of my piggy questions or concerns and get answers from other more experienced owners. Where I live they aren't that common and the only place to get one is pet smart unfortunately. Thankfully I saved one of my boys from the shelter and the other just needed a new home.

Back