• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Swissgreys

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Please use this thread to post pictures of your guinea pig shed.

Try to include some information with the photo like:
Where it was purchased/brand
Any adaptations you have made
What size it is
How many piggies are kept in it
How easy it is to keep clean/if you'd recommend it
Any shed specific details you think could be helpful to others - flooring, lighting, heating, ventilation, security, etc.

Please bear in mind that new members will look to this thread as an example of good piggy keeping, so photos of accommodation that is inadequately sized, dirty or overcrowded may be removed at the discretion of admin.

Please also feel free to add a link to threads with details of how your set up was created.

IMG_20190707_161355.jpgIMG_20190109_190745 (1).jpg
IMG_20190109_191315 (1).jpg
The shed is 6'x8' placed on a bed of paving slabs and houses 2 piggies. It was given to me by a friend who had built a brick shed in his garden. The hutch is actually custom built using 12mm plywood. The doors were made from old reclaimed wood. The hutch is 5 foot high, 6 foot wide and 2 foot deep, it originally housed 4 rabbits, while the guinea pigs were housed in a separate hutch. After losing the rabbits and half the guineas, the hutch was converted into one big hutch. For insulation, there is space blanket insulation between the shed wall and hutch wall. I have run a heavy duty extension lead into the shed from my kitchen with a double socket mounted on the wall. That gives me a roof mounted light and I have a pair of microwave oven brackets fastened to the wall, on this is an oil filled radiator. So I have a well lit, warm dry shed which enables me to be able to clean the hutch all year round. However, once my last two piggies have passed, the hutch will be dismantled. ;)

Hey all,
So I’ve been a busy bee and here is my final set up.
Shed is 12ft x 6ft custom made with stable doors. Cost £1100
Contains 2 x Chartwell hutches. Both double doors, one has a ramp to the bottom floor courtesy of @Tim. Size 5ft
Contains extra cages
Carpet tiles for insulation and allows for free running (lap time). Cost: Free
Fridge with small freezer compartment for ice pods, food, medicines. Cost: £25 second hand.
Fan for circulation.
Wheelie bin for hay storage.
Storage box for fleece bedding, shampoos, brushes, nail clippers, weigh scales, heat pads.
Stool (hanging in wall)
2 x dust pan and brushes
Scoopers (leaves)
Excess carpet for ramp refits.
Extra plastic houses and wooden bridges.
Noticeboard for reminder guides, weight chart, daily tasks for their caretaker when I’m away.
I could go on...
Fly stripes and fly screen covers that are Velcro down when the bottom doors are closed.
157A7BF8-27A3-4010-9B1A-55D3EBBC50D7.jpeg2D6CFDF8-40B4-4036-B9E8-38C967F90BF3.jpegE2AFB621-1E55-4055-A288-1E3DB334217F.jpeg3FA3D602-0C6D-4560-A4C0-04046FC719B2.jpegB26BDAF4-8401-43E6-A3C7-B1155DDFACC6.jpeg22B246D1-5E90-4AC3-BD51-DE75CA3F981E.jpeg8B9A829F-FAF9-4DB7-8F55-09C38031A9EA.jpegAA48604C-8758-4AFF-A574-36D51ECC5393.jpeg2F439874-B8EE-4D1D-84FF-A4A0665803E7.jpeg55AFDE1C-62E3-421F-A395-2657E713F39E.jpeg

Wow, fabulous setup! I would love something like that for the piggies as well but can’t spend £1100! I’d have to save up for it.

I understand, I went for years without a shed having the hutches outside and doing the cleaning in all sorts of weather and now I live in a normal house I.e. a housing estate with a garden without restrictions because of the natural view I could put one up but not only that I spend more time with them. I saved for a while but I only needed the shed as I had everything else that I’ve collected over the years. I also have a Bluetooth speaker in their and listen to music which the pigs don’t mind at all- in fact Jellicoe fell asleep yesterday and often does after a busy day running around the shed floor.

Well done on doing the all weather cleaning! That’s what kind of put me off having them outside.

All weather cleaning is what attracted me to having a shed in the first place. As the shed was a freebie, I paid a little extra for the wood to build the hutch, it cost £100 for all of the wood, the wood yard cut everything to size for me for the build, the hutch build is in the hutch topic. ;) My two now have tons of space. :tu:
IMG_20190819_153658.jpgIMG_20190819_153707.jpgIMG_20190819_154548.jpgIMG_20190819_153844.jpgIMG_20190819_155421.jpgIMG_20190819_154921.jpg
I've put the mid section in to make the angles of the ramps a lot more gentle for the piggies to climb. ;)

guinea pig hutch .jpeg
This setup is home to 3 piggies. A 6ft hutch with extra space outside. I converted an old garden shed into a piggy palace. I use fleece throughout the whole cage as its easier to spot clean and keep clean on a day to day basis. The hutch was from p@h. Under the fleece is just old towels and under the towels I used an old plastic mat that is supposed to stop chairs from scratching wood but we didn't use it so I put it under the fleece to stop the wood from getting wet and rotting. I also added attachments on all the doors (you can see them on the hutch doors on the top level) so I was able to put a padlock or something through it to give added security. The shed doors are also padlocked to prevent them from blowing open or anything unwanted getting. The shed doesn't have any electricity so I put up an ikea light meant to be put in drawers which is really bright and battery powered and is also attached to the ceiling and lights up the whole shed.

Aggghhhh.....I got my shed🤗
I am going yo take it down on Sunday so very soon I will be uploading my pics and plans😊
But you see now I am worried because my pigs have got used to being in the house with us and I wonder if they will be lonely in the shed...no daily noise,people saying hello and giving them snacks...am I worrying over nothing? Or can they get depressed if they don't like it in the shed?

I think it probably depends on the pigs, some might take a while to get used to it, whereas others may prefer some peace and quiet! I think as long as you spend enough time in the shed, they should be fine. I'm not an expert though!

Back