• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Mental Turmoil Of Having To Rehome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cazzie Bliss

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey all

As some might know, my piggies had babies a few months ago and I misgendered one of the pups who's been in the girls cage. I don't have a big enough cage for 4 boars to live in.

So, the people I got my original two are saying they can take a max of four back of the same sex. The sensible thing to do is to give all 4 boys to them, however that would include Butler. I feel he wouldn't be able to cope without Kennen (The girl pig in the cage next to him) seeing as he chews the cage every night despite being separated for 3-4 months. Would he pine of get over it?

I need to rehome my piggies because I have too many with potential more pups because I put Willow in the wrong cage. But my dad needs an answer in a few hours and every time I consider splitting them up it makes me cry. I love my piggies but I know they're not getting the best home here.

Is there any ways to deal with this emotionally or have people had a similar experience?

Also, I feel like I'll have to go through this all over again if/when any new pups make an appearance.

He'll be fine. It sounds like he lives alone at the moment, so if you rehome him then he'll get the chance to live with some cagemates.

It's always emotional to not be able to keep all of them, but if you have someone who will take a group of four together, that's great for them (much better than being split up.) And your male with adjust to a new home, particularly if he then has the opportunity to live with other pigs. ((HUGS)) and hope you can come to a decision that is best for your pigs.

He'll be fine. It sounds like he lives alone at the moment, so if you rehome him then he'll get the chance to live with some cagemates.

No he lives with 2 of the baby males, he was only alone for the first month.

It's always emotional to not be able to keep all of them, but if you have someone who will take a group of four together, that's great for them (much better than being split up.) And your male with adjust to a new home, particularly if he then has the opportunity to live with other pigs. ((HUGS)) and hope you can come to a decision that is best for your pigs.

It's harder because the males are actually my secret faves, especially Milky as he greets me at the cage every morning when I get out of bed.

But I need to do what's right for my piggies and not put my desires before my pigs well being.

I've been there Cazzie. It's heartbreaking the worst part is choosing which ones to go. Mine went to a rescue, trouble is they had a website that showed you piggies that needed rehoming. I looked at that page everyday to see if mine were still there, & if they were. I used to get upset if they were still there. Upset if they were gone, where had they gone, were they happy in their new home. It's hell, but then you have step back & say I'm doing the right thing for my piggies & I'm sure they will have lovely new homes. Then you'll cry some more. I'm not being insensitive, just keep telling yourself I'm doing this in their best interests. They'll be fine Hun. Hugs coming your way.
Then you need keep the boys, if that is where your heart lies.

Last edited:
The four boys went this morning. I didn't cry until I picked up Mini B and put him in the transport box, I ended up bawling in front of my parents and now I can't look at their cage without crying. I still have Kennen and Caramel but it's so unbelievably quiet without the boys. Milky was chewing loudly on the bars this morning, the loudest he's ever been.. .now it's gone.
On the plus side they've gone to a much better home, I'll be able to sleep at night but on the other hand I miss them already.

You have definitely made the right decision for your boys.
But the right decision isn't always the easy one.
Huge hugs to you.

I'm so sorry Cazzie. But you've done what is best for you and the boys. Stay strong, lots of hugs x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back