• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Mezzanine In Ferplast

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering adding a mezzanine to the ferplast for the boys. I took the hide out that it came with, so any ideas would be good. Preferably not involving wood though.

I'm off to ikea for some fleece as I'd like to move away from wood shavings. They are kind of dusty when you get to the bottom, and the bag I bought is almost gone! Not cost effective in the long run and I think it's making the babies sneeze as well.

Is it a ferplast 120?

I added one in my 120 but mine didn't have the fully opening front like yours, mine was the curved top opening cage.

To be honest, if it's an option at all I'd try and get a bigger cage, rather than adding a loft. The one I added made very little difference because the cage just isn't very big. I was disappointed with the size of the cage. With the base being tapered it's not even 120cm x 60cm floor space. By time you've added the corner hides you are making and a ramp for the loft, there will be very little room.

The first cage I bought was a little friends 140cm x 70cm and the base is not tapered. Those extra cm really do make for a much bigger floor space. My Eva and her 2 babies are back in it now as the babies are too small for the C&C, and they have room for 4 tunnels, 2 litter trays 2 corner hides and a fleece forest! I could never get all that in the 120.

Totally agree with the above, i currently have the 120 ferplast and it just isn't big enough for 2 boys, i do have an outside run for them, but unless the weather is nice it's not ideal leaving them outside in case it rains etc.

Annoys me how the pet shop even sold me that cage!

i'm going to move to a c&c cage, which i think is great as you can try out lots of different setups without having to constantly purchase new cages and bits. and they are quite cheap to get it all up and running.

or i have seen someone on here that has built an extension from the ferplast with a little ramp that then leads into an indoor play pen thing. sorry, can't remember who it was to link it.

also just like you i want to move over to fleece as the sawdust is driving me insane :hb: it literally gets EVERWHERE!

Well it was a long while ago and I'm not sure if I've got the photo on my MacBook but I'll have a shifty for you.

I had a Ferplast140 and put a mezzanine floor in it. It was a wire grid, that I bent the sides up and cable tied it to the cage, then fitted a piece of guttering that is squared obviously then drilled holes in the guttering, attached that to the mezzanine floor with cable ties again. fitted a carpet flooring to the ramp (guttering) then fitted a cardboard floor to the mezzanine then put another flooring on top, I made sure the cardboard's 3 sides came up the side because of them kicking their poo's and feed etc out. hey Presto, an extra level.

Ok, I can't find it, must be on my old laptop. anyway, hopefully the idea in it's self will help. I would check out the Housing and members cages and C&C for idea's you could even do a hay loft by using a plastic box without the lid and cut the opening.

Forgot to add, I also added a loft to my 140cm cage. I just used MDF with some screws in the end, hooked that onto the bars, fixed with cable ties, covered with a puppy pad and fleece and added the ramp. Covered with blanket to make it more private.

WP_20170620_12_58_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20170620_12_58_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20170620_12_59_08_Pro.jpg

With the new loft do you get poos flying out the sides? Or does the blanket deflect them when Guinea zombies are in session?

No, there was no mess escaping so the blanket must have helped, plus if you look at the back end of the loft I have 2 hay racks there so this will have stopped poop and bits escaping. I found that they tended to sleep up there so there was just a few poop piles in the beds.

I don't have this setup now. I have a C&C but it worked very well at the time.

Thanks everyone. I went and bought another ferplast to expand their living space. It's now 140+ wide. They seem to be happy. I'll see if I still add a mezzanine.

Thanks everyone. I went and bought another ferplast to expand their living space. It's now 140+ wide. They seem to be happy. I'll see if I still add a mezzanine.
Does it come with a mezzanine in the cage already?

Back