• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What cage do you have?

• Midwest cage

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • C&C cage

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Other pet store cage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I really want to get some guinea pigs, so I was looking at cages. Is the C&C cage worth it for (I'm looking at the medium with loft) an extra square ft of cage room and five times the cost?

Both cages are great! If you want to build a c&c cage you can build it to fit your room:) so that’s a plus, also you can rebuild it and change it whenever you’d like! So from my perspective I would say c&c! Also remember minimum size are 2x4:) but the bigger the better, hope you figure it out!

I Agree with the above, if you do go for the midwest which is 120x60cm you can only have 2 sows or a neutered boar and sow, not two boars. Unless you are going to change the size of the cage when they get older( 2 boars usually scrap in the 120cm length, so their reccomended minimum size is 140cm x 60cm.

Hi guys,
I really want to get some guinea pigs, so I was looking at cages. Is the C&C cage worth it for (I'm looking at the medium with loft) an extra square ft of cage room and five times the cost?

Hi and welcome

Which country are you in?

C&C components can often be sourced more cheaply in some countries via amazon and DIY stores.
All About C & C Grid Cages Around The World

Personally I couldn't have as many piggies as I have with an ever changing flexible layout without C&C; it has been a godsent!
Unlike traditonal cages, C&C allows you to extend and to divide cages as needed to use non-conventional layouts to suit your own space requirements.
Guinea pigs are a ground roaming species, they need all the space you can give them.
IMG_6172_edited-1.jpg

Please be aware that boars have a higher space requirement than sows, especially during the teenage months. The safest place to get healthy and well bonded guinea pigs from that are used to handling is a good standard rescue, which is well worth the extra effort for peace of mind! You can find lists of vetted rescues in various countries that we can guarantee you being in good hands in our Wannabe and new Owners guide collection
Cage Size Guide

You may find our wannabe owners and new owners guide collections helpful:
Are Guinea Pigs For Me? - A Guide
Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

I used to have a Midwest cage and it worked out great! Now I have a C&C and I love it as well. I believe both are great, but it all depends on how much space you need for your piggies. I think the Midwest is acceptable for 2 piggies but if you're getting more than 2 then I'd use a C&C.
Personally, I'd pick the C&C just because you can build it to fit your room plus you can always add on/rearrange the grids. The Midwest cage can only do so much.

I currently have a Midwest cage which works out really well for my living arrangement, but having a C&C cage would give you a lot of flexibility on making it exactly how you want it like others have said! I think someday I will probably have a C&C cage.

What other options are there? C&C from the guinea pig cage store is really expensive. I'm also considering the midwest habitat. Should I connect to Midwest cages? What other options are there and what do you guys do?

If you buy sheets of coroplast from a home improvement store and buy the grids online or at Walmart, it is a lot cheaper. That is if you are crafty enough to make a diy c&c cage.

I used to have a Midwest cage and it worked out great! Now I have a C&C and I love it as well. I believe both are great, but it all depends on how much space you need for your piggies. I think the Midwest is acceptable for 2 piggies but if you're getting more than 2 then I'd use a C&C.
Personally, I'd pick the C&C just because you can build it to fit your room plus you can always add on/rearrange the grids. The Midwest cage can only do so much.
I think I'm probably going to get the Midwest cage because my parents will be easier to convince if it's cheaper lol. (But on the other hand, I want a C&C cage...) Any tips or advice on the Midwest cage? And for someone who hopes to won two piggies to start (I'm going to get females), what do recommend?

I think I'm probably going to get the Midwest cage because my parents will be easier to convince if it's cheaper lol. (But on the other hand, I want a C&C cage...) Any tips or advice on the Midwest cage? And for someone who hopes to won two piggies to start (I'm going to get females), what do recommend?
The Midwest is a good cage :) Perhaps in the future you can make a C&C! The only advice I can think of about the cage is the ramp. Nickel loved going up and down it but once Penny used the cage she would never use the ramp so I removed it. And it actually seems bigger without the ramp. Otherwise, it really is a good quality cage!
I used my cage for Nickel and Penny. Penny got to use it after Nickel passed away, so I don't have experience with 2 piggies living in the same cage. But I'd recommend having 2 hideys, 2 dishes, etc. so they don't fight over one thing.
Best of luck :) xx

Let's say (I don't have them yet, this is what I want,) I have 2-3 female piggies. Would you recommend...

1) Two midwest cages together?

2) A homemade C&C cage?

3) A homemade floor cage. (I think this would be good, but I have carpet, so how do I it?)?

Welcome to the forum! They all sound like pretty good options. A C&C will probably be cheaper than two midwest cages. If you'd like a floor cage with carpet, I'd recommend using and tarp or tablecloth. Many cheaper tablecloths have a plastic side and a fuzzy side. If you put the plastic side up, the pee won't leak through. A tarp is also a good option. Hope this helps!

Gia xoxo

C&C gives you options to change your layout in the future if you increase the number of piggies, or want to move to a different space etc. They're dead easy to do as well. Remember to let us see once it's done! If you look in the forums tab you'll find a thread for homemade cages and one for shop bought which will give you ideas.

Just realised that you've asked this on another thread. Most of the members here are in the UK, which is why you only got a couple of responses - we were all asleep. You'll find people answer you quite quickly on here, so you don't need to do multiple posts. It's a very active, friendly forum, so welcome, and look forward to seeing your new piggies when you get them. x

Back