• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Guinea Pig keeps clicking her teeth but doesn't seem to be agitated ?

raining.ashes

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I got two new guinea pigs about three weeks ago, and a week and a half ago I took my two guinea pigs to the vet. They were both suffering from lack of vitamin C, and the Mother (who gave birth about two months ago) had a bacterial infection. The vet gave me vitamin C supplements and antibiotics to use, and I have since used daily. However, I recently noticed that the mother has begun to click her teeth. At first I thought she might be irritated at me for picking her up to do the meds and weigh her every day, except she does not click when I am holding her or petting her, nor when she is interacting with her cage mate (1 of her 2 month old daughters.) Usually when I notice her clicking it's when she seems to be begging for food.

I got two new guinea pigs about three weeks ago, and a week and a half ago I took my two guinea pigs to the vet. They were both suffering from lack of vitamin C, and the Mother (who gave birth about two months ago) had a bacterial infection. The vet gave me vitamin C supplements and antibiotics to use, and I have since used daily. However, I recently noticed that the mother has begun to click her teeth. At first I thought she might be irritated at me for picking her up to do the meds and weigh her every day, except she does not click when I am holding her or petting her, nor when she is interacting with her cage mate (1 of her 2 month old daughters.) Usually when I notice her clicking it's when she seems to be begging for food.

Has your vet checked the back teeth for overgrowing molars and are you weighing her daily instead of weekly to monitor her food intake - over 80% of which should be hay, which cannot be controlled otherwise.
The Importance Of Weighing - Ideal Weight / Overweight / Underweight
If your sow is losing more than 50g/2 oz, please step in with syringe feeding top up support
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

guinea pigs are prey animals; they will supress any noises that can betray any pain and weakness to a predator, which humans clearly still are for her, even more so in a scary place like a vet!
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

Has your vet checked the back teeth for overgrowing molars and are you weighing her daily instead of weekly to monitor her food intake - over 80% of which should be hay, which cannot be controlled otherwise.
The Importance Of Weighing - Ideal Weight / Overweight / Underweight
If your sow is losing more than 50g/2 oz, please step in with syringe feeding top up support
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

guinea pigs are prey animals; they will supress any noises that can betray any pain and weakness to a predator, which humans clearly still are for her, even more so in a scary place like a vet!
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

When the Vet saw her a few weeks ago she said her teeth all seemed to be in perfect condition. I just got a scale and have started weighing her, but that was only two days ago ans I haven't been able to determine any weight loss yet.

Where did they come from? Have they settled in well or are they still running and hiding all the time?

Our older pig (who's a mum, and still probably less than 2) has a tendency to chatter her teeth if she thinks its tea time and I'm not bringing her food at a speed she deems suitable! In our instance I get the distinct impression that its something completely under Jemima's control and that she's doing it to indicate that we are being tardy, negligent slaves whilst poor pigs are starving (whilst she ignores her gently expanding waistline and weight - most negligent, we are!).

This may or may not be the situation with your ladies, but if her teeth have been deemed good and she's not loosing weight I would be inclined to monitor the situation but not worry too much right now unless you find another indication of a problem - she might well just be feigning starvation in the way of piggies through the ages :D.

Back