• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

haylbeth

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Last night my beautiful and sweet pig Pippa who I always called Pippy passed away suddenly. She seemed fine the day before but yesterday I noticed she wasnā€™t moving a lot and her body was doing a slight back and forth repetitive movement which I watched a while but then I saw her come out of her hidey and I didnā€™t think much of it. She appeared ok for the rest of the day. I regret that I didnā€™t act faster as later in the day I noticed she did not eat her veggies. (her cage sister Edie was not eating much and appeared to be watching out for Pippy) So I immediately picked her up to which she started jerking violently and I was so distressed I had to pass her to my partner. It was awful. Pippy would never bite, she always reminded me of a little dog because she could lick your hand all day long. But this time she was just nibbling at my partner and did not want to be held at all and so we placed her back into her cage and rang the vet. We managed to get her booked in straight away and I prepped the carrier with hay and veggies. I had it on my lap with the top open stroking her. She died without us having left my estate curling her head right under her and snuggled into a corner. šŸ˜¢

My darling Pippa was the most perfect piggy I could have ever asked for. She was so loving and sweet. I had her for just over 3 years. I wish I had more time with her but Iā€™m grateful for the time I did. I am feeling lost without her. I put in a teddy with her scent for Edie and got her some more treats today. I hope Edie will be ok. We took Pippa for cremation today and I will pick her little box up at the end of the week. šŸ’”

Pippa 2017-2022
We will love you forever my sweet girl. Over the rainbow bridge you go šŸŒˆā¤ļøšŸŒ»

Attachments

• 71CF2BDB-B3F6-43F5-8087-6A75C4D19D8F.jpeg
    71CF2BDB-B3F6-43F5-8087-6A75C4D19D8F.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 25
Hi everyone.

Last night my beautiful and sweet pig Pippa who I always called Pippy passed away suddenly. She seemed fine the day before but yesterday I noticed she wasnā€™t moving a lot and her body was doing a slight back and forth repetitive movement which I watched a while but then I saw her come out of her hidey and I didnā€™t think much of it. She appeared ok for the rest of the day. I regret that I didnā€™t act faster as later in the day I noticed she did not eat her veggies. (her cage sister Edie was not eating much and appeared to be watching out for Pippy) So I immediately picked her up to which she started jerking violently and I was so distressed I had to pass her to my partner. It was awful. Pippy would never bite, she always reminded me of a little dog because she could lick your hand all day long. But this time she was just nibbling at my partner and did not want to be held at all and so we placed her back into her cage and rang the vet. We managed to get her booked in straight away and I prepped the carrier with hay and veggies. I had it on my lap with the top open stroking her. She died without us having left my estate curling her head right under her and snuggled into a corner. šŸ˜¢

My darling Pippa was the most perfect piggy I could have ever asked for. She was so loving and sweet. I had her for just over 3 years. I wish I had more time with her but Iā€™m grateful for the time I did. I am feeling lost without her. I put in a teddy with her scent for Edie and got her some more treats today. I hope Edie will be ok. We took Pippa for cremation today and I will pick her little box up at the end of the week. šŸ’”

Pippa 2017-2022
We will love you forever my sweet girl. Over the rainbow bridge you go šŸŒˆā¤ļøšŸŒ»
Sorry I meant to write 2018. Pippa was born at the end of that year ā¤ļø

Iā€™m so sorry you have lost beautiful Pippy. She had a wonderful life with you. Popcorn high over the bridge. Take care. ā¤ļø

Sorry for your loss. It sounds like Pippa had a wonderful life with you. Sleep tight Pippa x

I am very sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful piggy and 6 is a good age. But however long we have them, itā€™s never long enough. Sleep tight, gorgeous girl.

Hi everyone.

Pippa 2017-2022

BIG HUGS

I am very sorry for your loss. Pippa was a lovely girl and very much loved and cherished.

Please do not feel guilty for not having picked on it straight away. Pippa was already in organ failure by the time you noticed that something was wrong, and racing her to the vet would have not changed anything in the outcome. She would have likely passed away on the journey there or latest on the examination table, which would have even more upsetting and guilt triggering for you. :(

The fitting and discomfort happens in the last stages of the natural dying process when the blood circulation and the organs are breaking down and oxygen deprivation is setting in; the instinctive tweaking at teh end means that she was no longer fully with it and fully aware of her surroundings anymore, if that is any consolation to you. It is pretty normal when just the immediate reaction to pain stimuli remains at the very end. You did the right thing of placing her back in the cage.

The natural dying process is usually much more physical than most people expect when they are confronted with it for the first time; our vague concept of drifting away peacefully in one's sleep is actually pretty rare.
Personally, I am always happier if a piggy of mine can pass away at home without a race to the vets for an emergency pts or without a long slow decline battling illness and a rat-tail of complications as the body and immune system gradually weaken.
Death always comes as a shock, no matter how prepared you are for it. But when the chips are down, I'd rather suffer the shock myself than seeing a beloved suffer any more and longer than strictly necessary.
Pets are a gift you always have on a loan that can be cancelled at any moment without notice. Like with all beloved ones (human or animal), you can never choose what they die from, or when. This is even more the case with small pets with a very fast metabolism, which can often mean that the end is turning rather frantic for you.
But as you have obviously given Pippa all your love and as good a life as you could, you have given her exactly what she has wanted for her life - and that is the part that really counts for her. Pippa wouldn't have understood that she was dying when she started feeling unwell and strange all of a sudden. Compared to the length of her life, the end did actually come mercifully quickly for her; she could live a normal life right up to the last hours.
Please try to take consolation that Pippa could pass away in her familiar surroundings when her time to make the journey to Rainbow Bridge had come, living a normal life span.

You can find more information on multiple organ failure (i.e. a natural death) in this link here, which will hopefully help you make more sense of your traumatic experience: A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

Also be aware that intense soul-searching and strong feelings of failure and guilt are very characteristic for the onset of the grieving process; we all have them to some degree or other, depending on the circumstances of the death, which you can never plan for. They are NOT a reflection of you having failed Pippa in a any way but a reflection of how much you love and care - you wouldn't suffer those feelings if you didn't care in the first place. Please be kind with yourself in the coming days.
Here is more very practical information and help for your own grieving process; especially if it is the first time you are confronted with a loss. What you actually experience is not usually what you'd expect and doesn't necessarily happen in the order you'd expect it; it is much more complex: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

Here is practical advice about what you can do for Pippa's mate right now and in the medium to longer term: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

I hope that this helps you?

So sorry for your loss.
Pippa clearly had a lovely life and knew she was loved.
Be gentle with yourselves as you grieve

I am so sorry to read your post. Your love and grief for Pippa shines through and the trauma must have been so hard to bear. My thoughts are with you at this sad time and she would have known how much love you had for her. Keep the happy memories of her in your heart although right now it may seem difficult to cope with. Run free over the bridge beautiful girl šŸŒˆ x

I am very sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful piggy and 6 is a good age. But however long we have them, itā€™s never long enough. Sleep tight, gorgeous girl.
Thank you so much ā¤ļø

BIG HUGS

I am very sorry for your loss. Pippa was a lovely girl and very much loved and cherished.

Please do not feel guilty for not having picked on it straight away. Pippa was already in organ failure by the time you noticed that something was wrong, and racing her to the vet would have not changed anything in the outcome. She would have likely passed away on the journey there or latest on the examination table, which would have even more upsetting and guilt triggering for you. :(

The fitting and discomfort happens in the last stages of the natural dying process when the blood circulation and the organs are breaking down and oxygen deprivation is setting in; the instinctive tweaking at teh end means that she was no longer fully with it and fully aware of her surroundings anymore, if that is any consolation to you. It is pretty normal when just the immediate reaction to pain stimuli remains at the very end. You did the right thing of placing her back in the cage.

The natural dying process is usually much more physical than most people expect when they are confronted with it for the first time; our vague concept of drifting away peacefully in one's sleep is actually pretty rare.
Personally, I am always happier if a piggy of mine can pass away at home without a race to the vets for an emergency pts or without a long slow decline battling illness and a rat-tail of complications as the body and immune system gradually weaken.
Death always comes as a shock, no matter how prepared you are for it. But when the chips are down, I'd rather suffer the shock myself than seeing a beloved suffer any more and longer than strictly necessary.
Pets are a gift you always have on a loan that can be cancelled at any moment without notice. Like with all beloved ones (human or animal), you can never choose what they die from, or when. This is even more the case with small pets with a very fast metabolism, which can often mean that the end is turning rather frantic for you.
But as you have obviously given Pippa all your love and as good a life as you could, you have given her exactly what she has wanted for her life - and that is the part that really counts for her. Pippa wouldn't have understood that she was dying when she started feeling unwell and strange all of a sudden. Compared to the length of her life, the end did actually come mercifully quickly for her; she could live a normal life right up to the last hours.
Please try to take consolation that Pippa could pass away in her familiar surroundings when her time to make the journey to Rainbow Bridge had come, living a normal life span.

You can find more information on multiple organ failure (i.e. a natural death) in this link here, which will hopefully help you make more sense of your traumatic experience: A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

Also be aware that intense soul-searching and strong feelings of failure and guilt are very characteristic for the onset of the grieving process; we all have them to some degree or other, depending on the circumstances of the death, which you can never plan for. They are NOT a reflection of you having failed Pippa in a any way but a reflection of how much you love and care - you wouldn't suffer those feelings if you didn't care in the first place. Please be kind with yourself in the coming days.
Here is more very practical information and help for your own grieving process; especially if it is the first time you are confronted with a loss. What you actually experience is not usually what you'd expect and doesn't necessarily happen in the order you'd expect it; it is much more complex: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

Here is practical advice about what you can do for Pippa's mate right now and in the medium to longer term: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

I hope that this helps you?
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment such kind words. Sadly, Pippa did pass in the car on the way to the vets. I donā€™t think I worded my post properly. However, she was within lots of hay and I was stroking her which gives me some comfort in my grief. I do wish now I knew the signs that she was passing and that I had left her in the cage where she was at most comfort.

Thank you for the helpful links. It would be great to read more to understand better ā¤ x

Back