• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My two guineapigs keep fighting! Should I separate them ?

Colexxx

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’ve had my two male guineas coming up to two years from the start they had little arguments but nothing serious like hurting each other until lately I have noticed my bigger guinea pig hulk has bald patches and really small scabs from the other guinea pig theadore pulling his hair out ! so I got them a bigger cage but this didn’t work things have since escalated as theadore keeps pulling hulks hair out and trying to hump him and I’ve heard him yelp in pain from it but I really didn’t want to separate them since they are really social animals but today when I was cleaning the cage I Checked hulks back again and it’s not getting any better and he kept staring at me and I felt so bad that I decided to separate them just for tonight to give hulk some peace so I decided to seperate them by putting theadore in the run that attaches to the cage with everything he needs like a bottle and hay basket as I kept the bowls and stuff from the old cage but I noticed that he tried to climb back over to the cage and when he did hulk was there on the other side and they were arguin by teeth chattering so I decided to shut the cage door over and since so hulk seems to love the peace as he has not came out once from his house but theadore keeps jumping up on the cage door and teeth chattering so it makes me nervous to put them back as I know it’s going to continue to happen and I don’t want to see hulk in pain.

How big is their new bigger cage? 2 boys need a lot of space so I'm wondering if maybe it still isn't big enough. Do you have 2 of everything? i.e food bowls, water bottles, beds and space in the cage where they can both go to get away from each other? If you have done all of these things then separating will probably be the only thing you can do. Some piggies unfortunately just don't get on. Hopefully you will be able to resolve this and it doesn't come to that. Bear in mind that now that your pigs have been separated, you will have to go through the bonding process if you decide that you are going to try them together again.

Back