• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Need a New Cage Idea

Madi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have 3 brother Guinea pigs Ed, Al, and Mustang. About a month ago unfortunately I had to separate Ed from his brothers because they were picking on him and ended up sadly drawing blood :(. We have the C&C cage right now, the cage is split down the middle so that they can still see each other but Ed is safe from harm. They were doing very well being able to see each other. But this last weekend we went to visit family and left them alone for 2 days (with lots of veggies, hay, pellets, water etc) when we returned last night they had knocked down the wall separating the two cages and had absolutely destroyed their cages. I immediately put the wall back up and checked them all for injuries. Poor Ed had several shallow marks on him :( as soon as I put the wall back up, Al (the brains behind the wall destruction) immediately started pulling and pushing the wall trying to bring it down again. We made Ed an emergency separate cage for the night to ensure his safety. But we need a sturdier cage solution for the long term, any suggestions? I would still like them to be able to see each other through the barrier but I need them to not be able to knock it down.

Thanks,
Maddy

Maybe the wall just needs to be made more secure? Zip ties are great! Put around 3 or 4 on each side and I would've thought that would be sufficient to withstand piggy power, hope little Ed is okay

Thanks, I’ll try that. We had some tape at the top and elastics to try to hold it in place but I guess piggy beats tape lol. Zip ties should do the trick hopefully!

Thanks, I’ll try that. We had some tape at the top and elastics to try to hold it in place but I guess piggy beats tape lol. Zip ties should do the trick hopefully!
They should do, I mean people build their entire c&c with zip ties and just don't bother with the connectors so it should work okay 😊 Good luck!

Yes Zip ties definitely. I put up C&C cages with zip ties and they are solid.

Yes Zip ties definitely. I put up C&C cages with zip ties and they are solid.
What's the easiest way to remove the zip ties? Ive used them to secure the top of my cage, but thinking of changing it soon?

What's the easiest way to remove the zip ties? Ive used them to secure the top of my cage, but thinking of changing it soon?
Scissor..or sometimes we just use nail clippers to cut it. :D Hubby always buy a few packs of it coz we use it too when we travel. Apart from luggage locks, we put zip ties in addition for security.

Do you have an in-excess shop near you? Zip ties are dead cheap in there.

Scissor..or sometimes we just use nail clippers to cut it. :D Hubby always buy a few packs of it coz we use it too when we travel. Apart from luggage locks, we put zip ties in addition for security.
I find my sissors just like bend around the zip ties and don't cut them, Ive even used a kitchen knife before which isn't the best nor easiest so wondered what others used 😂

Scissors work yes, but I have found my piggies nail cutting clippers are amazing for cutting them!
OOOO thanks for that idea Ruth! I'll try that next time I need to cut zip ties. I found scissors weren't the best. Why didn't I think of that!:doh:

I never thought about them until i couldn't find any scissors once so grabbed the nail clippers and they work wonders!

Back