• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New GP owner needs help

Arthur&Andy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Just a couple of days ago i became a GP owner and i need some advice for a housing situation. My GP, Hilda, was gifted to me for my birthday and i immediatly started informing myself about everything she needs and how to take care of her properly. So, i read GP need about 8 Sq.Ft. of living space. In hopes of getting her some comapny later and the space she needs, i bought her a "Guinea Habitat Plus" by Midwest Homes for pets (attached pic), which includes a dividing panel that separates a "play area" from a "care area" by a ramp. The issue is Hilda seems too afraid to go up the ramp. I understand GP can be very fearful at first, but she is so afraid of crossing the ramp that she wont go from the play area to the care area even if she is very hungry! Should i remove the dividing panel or wait until she becomes used to it? I have been crossing her myself for a couple of days in a snuggle cloth thinking that perhaps she will get used to it and go for it herself but so far she just cries until i come. I just want her to be happy and the product claims that the dividing panel is a way to keep her and her habitat clean, but i'm afraid she's going hungry and thirsty. Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post and the spelling mistakes, English is not my native language.
habitat.jpeg

Hi there! We have the Midwest cage as well— it took a while for our girls to get used to the ramp. If possible, I would get another hay feeder/ bowl for food and put it in the play area. She can eat and drink there, and then go over the ramp on her own terms. It also would be a huge help to get her a friend! Guinea pigs do much, much better (and have less anxiety) when they are bonded with other guineas.

I haven't got advice but when I first read your post I thought you said Hilda started informing you about what she needs! Wow I thought that's a clever pig! Then I put my glasses on.......🙄

Just a couple of days ago i became a GP owner and i need some advice for a housing situation. My GP, Hilda, was gifted to me for my birthday and i immediatly started informing myself about everything she needs and how to take care of her properly. So, i read GP need about 8 Sq.Ft. of living space. In hopes of getting her some comapny later and the space she needs, i bought her a "Guinea Habitat Plus" by Midwest Homes for pets (attached pic), which includes a dividing panel that separates a "play area" from a "care area" by a ramp. The issue is Hilda seems too afraid to go up the ramp. I understand GP can be very fearful at first, but she is so afraid of crossing the ramp that she wont go from the play area to the care area even if she is very hungry! Should i remove the dividing panel or wait until she becomes used to it? I have been crossing her myself for a couple of days in a snuggle cloth thinking that perhaps she will get used to it and go for it herself but so far she just cries until i come. I just want her to be happy and the product claims that the dividing panel is a way to keep her and her habitat clean, but i'm afraid she's going hungry and thirsty. Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post and the spelling mistakes, English is not my native language.
View attachment 147358
Hi! :)
:wel:
If I remember correctly, that specific cage only offers 7.8 square feet, which is below the bare minimum. If she is not utilizing the entire enclosure, the space you are providing is even smaller.
Please do keep in mind that 8 square feet is the absolute least amount of space you can offer to a piglet, and it is always best to aim for a larger square footage.
Make sure that your piglet has plenty of hay (unlimited, easily accessible amounts). I would also keep in mind that it is best to stay away from dyed chew toys, it's best to stick to natural chews.
I will add some helpful links below:
Wannabe and New Owners Information and Resources
We would love to see some pigtures! :wub:

As said above the cage is unfortunately not quite big enough for the minimum space required. For now I would perhaps take out the divider and have it as one whole cage with no ramp into the other section.

As it’s only been a few days I would let her settle in for at least 5 days. Cover part of the cage so she feels more secure and also put in another hide so she’s not so ‘exposed’. You can still clean her out in the meantime.

When you’re ready to get her a friend then you’re best bet is a rescue that does dating so she can pick her own friend. If you don’t have access to rescues(we know they’re not available in some places) then just have a plan B in case bonding doesn’t go well - piggies living side by side as neighbours.

Please also add your location to your profile so info can be better tailored to you. Also double check that she’s intact a sow. And:wel:
New Owners' Most Helpful How-To Guides and Information
Illustrated Sexing Guide

Hiya! Try a fleece forest or something similar at the entrance to the second area. These really gaveml my girls confidence to explore when they first arrived x

Back