• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New Guinea Pig?

csmith9nr

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i have two boars about 1 years old and am thinking on getting another one round 8-10 weeks. I've heard trios aren't a good pair though... what's the best way of dealing with this and can it work? If not what else can I do?

i have two boars about 1 years old and am thinking on getting another one round 8-10 weeks. I've heard trios aren't a good pair though... what's the best way of dealing with this and can it work? If not what else can I do?

Please do not be tempted to add a third boar to a working pair. Trios, especially with young boars, do much more likely fail than succeed. The fail rate of sub-adult boar trios is 90% - yours are not quite yet out of the teenage hormones and will experience the odd testosterone spikes for a while yet. At the worst you can end up with three boars that do not get on; it has happened more than one to forum members; most likely you end up with a two against one situation of some sort.
If you want more boys, rather consider getting another preferably stably bonded pair, but do not break what is not broken and in any case, ALWAYS plan for the case that things don't work out!

The temptation to add more boars to a working pair is very great, but please don't do it and find another way. A failed trio can give you a lot of heart-break, not to speak of the sleepless nights!

Boars: A guide to successful companionship.
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

If you want to get more piggies why not get another boar pair in a separate cage? Even getting a pair of sows could give you problems if they're anywhere that you existing two can smell or see them.

Back