• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New To Guinea Pig Care! Fleece Vs Bedding

AlvieOB

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm a soon to be guinea Pig owner, I'm so excited! I've done loads and loads of research. The rescue centre I'm going to adopt from build C&C cages, so I will have a C&C cage probably around 4x2 ft or 5x2 with a loft. The one thing I'm unsure on is wether I should line it with bedding or fleeces. Which is easier? Which do Guineas like more in that sort of cage?
Thanks so much!

What are they used to?

We adopted 2 guinea pigs privately. They were living in an old-style wooden hutch bedded in lots of hay and seemed quite happy. When they moved in with us they got a C&C cage, which gives them more space, and fleece - and now they've got used to it they also seem quite happy.

I haven't tried keeping pigs on anything other than fleece so i can't compare work levels, but I'm not finding the fleece very arduous and I like the fact that I'm not generating lots of physical waste (although, sticking with the environmental perspective, I'm not entirely happy about using fleece either!).

What are they used to?

We adopted 2 guinea pigs privately. They were living in an old-style wooden hutch bedded in lots of hay and seemed quite happy. When they moved in with us they got a C&C cage, which gives them more space, and fleece - and now they've got used to it they also seem quite happy.

I haven't tried keeping pigs on anything other than fleece so i can't compare work levels, but I'm not finding the fleece very arduous and I like the fact that I'm not generating lots of physical waste (although, sticking with the environmental perspective, I'm not entirely happy about using fleece either!).
Thanks ! I've not got them yet and not sure wether they are kept on fleece or not at the rescue centre but going to volunteer there at the weekend so will find out then.

I prefer fleece. I used to do bedding but the piggies kept kicking it into their food and outside of the cage. Plus when I cleaned it, I was always dropping bedding all over the floor. With fleece, I can easily take it out and shake it off in the outdoor garbage bin. Or I can just sweep it. The piggies seem to enjoy the fleece more than the bedding. With bedding, it gets wet and doesn't dry as quickly. With fleece, the urine passes right through it. So I recommend having towels underneath the fleece.

Hello and welcome! I prefer fleece to anything else as I find it cleaner and less messy :)

I use hay trays and fleece. Wonderfully easy to look after and I enjoy the colours.

2cxdj83.jpg

2h6etz7.jpg

33pbsb5.jpg

Hi :)

I personally prefer fleece. I used to have mine on wood shavings, but I found that it took too long to clean them out and it made quite a mess (and also took up too much room in the bin).

I'm another fleece devotee. Much easier to keep clean in my opinion. Lots of the people on this forum use various bedding and prefer it to fleece. It's really a personal choice. If they're outdoors for example, fleece isn't so popular.

Back