• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Louiseb11

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, really hope someone can give me some advice. I have 2 boars both 9 months old, Ron and Draco. They have lived together since they were 14 weeks old and I have up to now had no problems at all. Draco has always been the bigger and more dominant pig and has on occassion humped, rumblestrutted and teeth chattered to tell Ron he is the boss. Recently, Ron stopped eating interacting talking everything and after a trip to the vets found to have a mass around his stomach. Options were limited but out of luck and signs of improvement he is now on a 10 day course of anti inflammatory and antibiotics. Appetite and behaviour is almost normal :) HOWEVER 5 days into his treatment Draco has decided to bully Ron CONSTANTLY! Literally all day non stop he has chased Ron around and humped him not letting him rest, eat etc. I know you are supposed to let them get on with it and not seperate unless blood drawn however because Ron has been so unwell and still recovering this is the last thing I want for him as he seems stressed out by it. After letting this go on all day I have now seperated them as its just got too much. Ron seems happier has eaten and is now sleeping, Draco on the other hand wont settle, is running around like a nutter not knowing what to do with himself and is chewing and scratching and his cage and bars. Does anyone have anyone have any advice on this and what to do? Should I keep them serperated or not? Should I give them this time out hopefully Draco get used to it then reintroduce once Ron is fully well again? Really not sure how to keep them both happy! Will this settle down :( why is it non stop :( any advice appreciated. Thanks

Louise x

Keeping them separated is only a decision you can make. You need to weigh up what is best, giving Ron time to heal properly or is he healing okay when they are still together...

I have noticed that if one pig is ill then my other boy(s) can sometimes start to pick on them. So on occasion I have separated, like when they're not getting enough to eat.

If you do keep them separate then you will need to put something on Draco's cage bars to stop him hurting his teeth. They are very persistent when they chew. I would suggest a piece of plastic over the bars so he can's get at them.

Hi everyone, really hope someone can give me some advice. I have 2 boars both 9 months old, Ron and Draco. They have lived together since they were 14 weeks old and I have up to now had no problems at all. Draco has always been the bigger and more dominant pig and has on occassion humped, rumblestrutted and teeth chattered to tell Ron he is the boss. Recently, Ron stopped eating interacting talking everything and after a trip to the vets found to have a mass around his stomach. Options were limited but out of luck and signs of improvement he is now on a 10 day course of anti inflammatory and antibiotics. Appetite and behaviour is almost normal :) HOWEVER 5 days into his treatment Draco has decided to bully Ron CONSTANTLY! Literally all day non stop he has chased Ron around and humped him not letting him rest, eat etc. I know you are supposed to let them get on with it and not seperate unless blood drawn however because Ron has been so unwell and still recovering this is the last thing I want for him as he seems stressed out by it. After letting this go on all day I have now seperated them as its just got too much. Ron seems happier has eaten and is now sleeping, Draco on the other hand wont settle, is running around like a nutter not knowing what to do with himself and is chewing and scratching and his cage and bars. Does anyone have anyone have any advice on this and what to do? Should I keep them serperated or not? Should I give them this time out hopefully Draco get used to it then reintroduce once Ron is fully well again? Really not sure how to keep them both happy! Will this settle down :( why is it non stop :( any advice appreciated. Thanks

Louise x

Hi and welcome!

Please take the time to read through this very detailed guide. Nonstop humping, when it gets excessive is a reason for separating boars. It is always the bullied boar's reaction that you need to judge, as the perpetrator always wants his mate back and is not happy. The guide also contains tips on how to conduct any re-introductions to see whether the bond is still viable.

8-10 months is one of the trickier times during the teenage months. It seems that your hormonal boy is suffering from a heavy spike of testosterone. Hopefully your boys will go back together as there has been no fighting.
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Thanks for the replies. I left them seperated all night but put their cages next to one another so they could still see hear and smell each other without physical contact. Draco has since calmed down a lot and Ron has managed to eat lots of his fresh food and had a sleep! I think il set up a large play area for them tonight to see how they get on before putting them back together. I think it may a case of having to sperate them occassionally whilst rons ill if Draco is full of testosterone, he is a big boy next to ron and dont want any fights. Hopefully I can sort all this out :)

Thanks for the replies. I left them seperated all night but put their cages next to one another so they could still see hear and smell each other without physical contact. Draco has since calmed down a lot and Ron has managed to eat lots of his fresh food and had a sleep! I think il set up a large play area for them tonight to see how they get on before putting them back together. I think it may a case of having to sperate them occassionally whilst rons ill if Draco is full of testosterone, he is a big boy next to ron and dont want any fights. Hopefully I can sort all this out :)

Don't separate too often; and hopefully wou won't see too many spikes like that. All the best for re-bonding. Please make sure that the cage is cleaned from all the excess testosterone.

They are back together and everything seems ok, Draco has calmed down a lot. There is still a bit of humping going on but not excessive like before and they seem happy to be together. I jave however noticed tonight whilst giving Ron his medicine that he has a cut on his lip. I'm worried that this has got there through fighting because i dont see how else this would have happened! Ive checked him over for any other bites/cuts and cant see any. Do you think I should be worried or keep them together and keep my eye on them?

They are back together and everything seems ok, Draco has calmed down a lot. There is still a bit of humping going on but not excessive like before and they seem happy to be together. I jave however noticed tonight whilst giving Ron his medicine that he has a cut on his lip. I'm worried that this has got there through fighting because i dont see how else this would have happened! Ive checked him over for any other bites/cuts and cant see any. Do you think I should be worried or keep them together and keep my eye on them?

A cut on the lip is not a disaster; it is most likely from a misjudged swipe and is not the same as full-on intentional deep bite. I would gently disinfect it with some saline solution or hibiscrub, but as your boys are getting on and settling back together, not worry about it. I would however still keep a closer eye on them over he next few days although things are hopefully calming down again.
If there is another over-top-humping episode please separate temporarily again. The boys' bond is obviously still viable and they have a good chance to make it to a more settled adulthood together. :tu:

Thanks ever so much for the advice :) much appreciated! I will definitely keep my eye on them and seperate if I must. Just now hoping Rons next vet visit saturday is a positive one then I will be able to relax and hopefully everything can go back to a normal peaceful life :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back