• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Not Drinking As Usual

CareFresh, shavings or cage liners?

• Carefresh

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Shavings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cage liners (fleece or towels)

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Jade&co

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My pig Bradley has always been a big drinker and super animated and happy in his cage (and out).

Recently he had a behaviour change and is more subdued. I don't know what happened but this post is more regarding his lack of water consumption...

Any tips to increase the likelihood of his drinking water from his bottle? It's a glass bottle, same as he's always had (I'm wondering if something scared him at the bottle).

To increase his hydration I've given him all his veggies rinsed in water but it's not enough. His poops are normal though and he is peeing but not as much as usual.

Thank you all for your time and thoughts on this!

My pig Bradley has always been a big drinker and super animated and happy in his cage (and out).

Recently he had a behaviour change and is more subdued. I don't know what happened but this post is more regarding his lack of water consumption...

Any tips to increase the likelihood of his drinking water from his bottle? It's a glass bottle, same as he's always had (I'm wondering if something scared him at the bottle).

To increase his hydration I've given him all his veggies rinsed in water but it's not enough. His poops are normal though and he is peeing but not as much as usual.

Have you added anything to the bottle? And is it still functioning correctly ie the 'drip' bit that the water comes out of? It could be that it is broken so he isn't drinking as much. How old is he? Any changes to the cage or anything health wise? Perhaps check his mouth and teeth as it could be something hurting when he goes to drink that has stopped him consuming as much. Bare in mind the temperature change- it's not as hot now (in the UK at least) so that might be affecting him.

Please shift from weighing weekly to weighing daily and see a vet if the weight loss is more than 50g in a short time.
If necessary, start topping him up with syringe feed as well as offering as much water as he is will to take. Always make sure that you never give more than one mouthful (ca. 0.3-0.5 ml) at once and make sure that you wait. Check whether there is an issue with the water bottle. Be aware that hay makes 80 of the daily food intake, but is impossible to control by eye. It is often the first food group that is dropped when a piggy is not feeling well. Drinking less often goes hand in hand with eating less.
All About Drinking And Bottles
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I'm happy to report that Bradley is back to himself completely! Behaviour and drinking/ eating. I hope it lasts

So any of you piggy parents use the vitamin c drops in water for your pigs?

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I'm happy to report that Bradley is back to himself completely! Behaviour and drinking/ eating. I hope it lasts

So any of you piggy parents use the vitamin c drops in water for your pigs?

*Do

Back