• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Not Eating After Bladder Stone Meds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olivia Johnson

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

About a month ago, my guinea pig Caesar started peeing a pinking red color and squeaked while urinating. I took him to the vet and they found a pretty good sized bladder stone. She prescribed him some antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory.

Last week, she special ordered him Potassium citrate to be administered 0.25 mls twice a day. I wish I could tell you the exact dosage she gave, but the label is obstructed. This is what it says: Potassium citrate 80 mg Susp 30.

A day after taking the medication, Caesar, who is usually easy to give medicine to, refused to take it unless I made him, then he would run away into a hiding spot in his pen. Now he spends all of his time there. More concerning, he has lost weight. He isn't overweight (1.538 lbs), but as of now, he is underweight. I have also noticed that since he stays in his hiding spot, he hasn't been eating hay at all.

I'm really worried about him and I was wondering if anyone had advice or personal experience with pigs with bladder stone, or who have taken potassium citrate.

Beans&Toast

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Both Beans and Toast are on Potassium Citrate 0.1ml twice daily, but I haven't noticed any changes or issues with them. Beans doesn't like it but she'll take it of I dip the syringe in Loxicom first.

Could it maybe be that more stones or crystals have formed and it's causing him discomfort?

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Olivia, welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear Caesar has been poorly. Has he had an operation to remove the stone?

Olivia Johnson

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Could I ask your location please?

For your first question, no he did not. The vet explained to me that an operation would cause him more problems, and that the potassium citrate could break apart the stone to pass easier. She told me the stone was small enough to pass, but it would be painful to do all at once. She suggested the potassium citrate to break the stone down a little so he would be passing more manageable stones, rather than one larger one

And for the second part, I'm located in southern California, around the Riverside area.

Olivia Johnson

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Both Beans and Toast are on Potassium Citrate 0.1ml twice daily, but I haven't noticed any changes or issues with them. Beans doesn't like it but she'll take it of I dip the syringe in Loxicom first.

Could it maybe be that more stones or crystals have formed and it's causing him discomfort?

I will take him to the vet tomorrow and ask her with him there then, because she has him on over twice as much and I've made his diet extremely low calcium. He went from eating only the green leaf lettuce to refusing it altogether

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is he on any pain meds such as metacam? Pain will stop him from eating you see

Olivia Johnson

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is he on any pain meds such as metacam? Pain will stop him form eating your see

No, she didn't give me any pain meds for him. She didn't even mention it. I had ran out of the anti-inflammatory and for a while, he took that without issue. Now though, without it he won't take the pot. cit. Should I ask about pain meds for him. Or are there OTC options?

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, she didn't give me any pain meds for him. She didn't even mention it. I had ran out of the anti-inflammatory and for a while, he took that without issue. Now though, without it he won't take the pot. cit. Should I ask about pain meds for him. Or are there OTC options?

Yes, The anti inflammatory he was on was probably metacam - which is a piankiller and anti inflamtory combined . He should be on this without a shadow of a doubt. Pain relief and anti inflammatory is very important

Olivia Johnson

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes, The anti inflammatory he was on was probably metacam - which is a piankiller and anti inflamtory combined . He should be on this without a shadow of a doubt. Pain relief and anti inflammatory is very important

I'll be sure to call the vet tomorrow then. She only gave me enough for the antibiotics

And I wish I had found that sooner. I went to an emergency vet office in Riverside CA. Small animal vets aren't very common in small towns, I learned

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If one of those vets is local to you on the link I sent you they would be well worth contacting.. I am UK based so don't really know geograpghy stateside. Have a good look through the link I sent you

Beans&Toast

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I will take him to the vet tomorrow and ask her with him there then, because she has him on over twice as much and I've made his diet extremely low calcium. He went from eating only the green leaf lettuce to refusing it altogether
Both mine are on 0.2 twice a day of Loxicom/Metacam as well as the Potassium Citrate, the Loxicom is essential for pain relief brought on by the stone/crystals and as an anti inflammatory for the bladder. I also syringe as much water as they'll take (as well as then drinking from their water bottle) throughout the day to try flush the crystals

Olivia Johnson

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If one of those vets is local to you on the link I sent you they would be well worth contacting.. I am UK based so don't really know geograpghy stateside. Have a good look through the link I sent you

I don't blame you. The US is a geographic mess and California is huge. I'll check it out though Thank you so much!

IMG_20161216_034543.jpg

Olivia Johnson

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Both mine are on 0.2 twice a day of Loxicom/Metacam as well as the Potassium Citrate, the Loxicom is essential for pain relief brought on by the stone/crystals and as an anti inflammatory for the bladder. I also syringe as much water as they'll take (as well as then drinking from their water bottle) throughout the day to try flush the crystals

I'll definitely try the water thing and I'll call the vet about getting more painkillers for him

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Awww bless little Caesar he is stunning, please let me know how you get on

helen105281

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Not got much to add except to reiterate that the anti-inflammatory is needed, he will be in pain with a stone. Did the vet suggest extra fluids too?

Status
Not open for further replies.